How to Build a Box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to Build a Box

bigblackdoggy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
Ok so I am thinking about building my own custom sub box for my four door. It is going to hold 2 15s, I am looking to have about 7 cubic feet. But my question is how to caluclate how many the cubic feet I have with my measurements. They are L 38.5in W 44.5 and H 20in. Your help will be very will taken.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

(Length x Width x Height) / 1728

I doubt this will help because I didn't do a squared off box. But I built a custom box for my 4 door. Just showing the different styles you can do with MDF.

Trunk 3.JPG

That was my old system before I moved to 15's

Given the messurments. Minus 3/4" for the wood/mdf thinkness. You have 17.03 cubic feet. So you should have no problem getting the 7/cf that you need. Just remember that you need to add for the speaker displacement and bracing. Here is a link to JL Audio's web site. There is tipps on wiring, bracing, and building a box.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=141

Her ya go. Find the enclosure volume for your subs for a vented enclosure and this will give you what you need. Take your time with it and it works very well. You need to have a tuning frequency in mind b4 you get started. Low 30's to sound good and keep going higher to get louder but sound like crap.

http://reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

I doubt this will help because I didn't do a squared off box. But I built a custom box for my 4 door. Just showing the different styles you can do with MDF.

Trunk 3.JPG

How did you mount the glass? Lookin to do something similar.

what subs?? how much power???

Trunk 3.JPG

u got the design some were i like to try biulding that

Back