how to burp radiator/cooling system with no cap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to burp radiator/cooling system with no cap?

thunder92

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4.0 4x4
Hey guys, my 02 explorer 4.0 has no radiator cap like i'm used to on other vehicles. How do I burp the air out after a flush and refill? Does the resevoir cap act the same way the radiator cap would normally or is their another way?

Thanks. Trying to get the wifes heater back to good. Seems better already although maybe core blocked some still. But inlet hose is hot and outlet is more than warm now.

thanks all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, my 02 explorer 4.0 has no radiator cap like i'm used to on other vehicles. How do I burp the air out after a flush and refill? Does the resevoir cap act the same way the radiator cap would normally or is their another way?

thanks all!

After you have topped off the coolant level in the Expansion tank/radiator, you just leave the Expansion tank cap off while you squeeze the upper radiator hose numerous times and watch for air bubbles popping up in the Expansion tank. I did this with the vehicle turned on and engine running up to operating temp in PARK, with the heater turned to hot and the fan turned on high. I wore heavy gloves on my hands to protect them during this process and keep your fingers away from any moving engine parts, fan blade, belt, alternator pulley etc. in that area. May take several minutes to get the t-stat to open up and get all the air out. Check the cabin heater temp after you have done this for several minutes. Top off the Expansion tank with coolant, if the level drops after you have expelled some air, reinstall the Expansion tank cap, then take it for a test drive leaving the heater set to hot and the fan speed on high. The test drive afterwards should help expell any air left in the system, it did for me when I did a coolant flush and re-fill last year. Check the coolant level over the next few days and top off if needed. Good luck!

thanks

I'll try it somemore. I have heat most of the time now but it fluctuates. Heater core lines are very hot and outlet one just hot. But water flows in and out with easy after I flushed it out. Check engine rang at me this morning and engine temp was way hot. Finally the "new" thermostat opened and it cooled off quickly. Weird. It almost seems to me like the system is not full. The upper hose doesn't seem full when squeezed and there is lots of fluid I put in the resevoir still there.

I'll try it somemore. I have heat most of the time now but it fluctuates. Heater core lines are very hot and outlet one just hot. But water flows in and out with easy after I flushed it out. Check engine rang at me this morning and engine temp was way hot. Finally the "new" thermostat opened and it cooled off quickly. Weird. It almost seems to me like the system is not full. The upper hose doesn't seem full when squeezed and there is lots of fluid I put in the resevoir still there.

I know some people have had problems with the "heater core valves" going bad and they lost cabin/heater core heat due coolant flow lost to the heater core, but I don't know if all Explorers have these valves. I think the 2002's do have them. The valve is located in the heater core lines that run along the passenger side engine valve cover. A bad or closed valve would block the flow of coolant thru the heater core and could "possibly" be the cause of the temporary overheating due to the coolant not circulating properly thru the system. I also know some people have had problems with the "engine temp sensor". Hopefully the problem isn't a clogged up radiator or heater core. Type "heater core valves" into the search box at the top of the forum using your year and engine size Explorer into the search question and see what past posts come up. Good luck.

Squeeze the hoses with both hands multiple times, there is air in there still. You can do it with the engine off too

done that over and over. No more bubble. I am thinking it must be my thermostat getting stuck. This didn't happen until I put in the new therm. Happened again 2x today. I'll test the therm tonight but could it be the temperature read sensor? Don't know what its called?

thanks. Its got to be this or still air in system. I'm gonna try and burp air at the heater core too. Maybe even upper rad hose also if this works.

man, about ready to throw this truck away. I hate when little problems seem big. But no heat when its 34 outside if no fun. Heater worked good yesterday and I thought my problem was over. Then tonight, no heat. None. Think I'll try and disconnect the heater core and the top hose and add fluid there. Maybe its still stupid air in system. Any other things I should be looking for here? I've never had this problem and I've done a few radiator swaps on other vehicles. But they all had a radiator cap. This one does not. Arggg.

Well it seems ok today. Last night I got it up to temp and then slowly opened the resevoir cover. Definetely under pressure. After running a while it overflowed a little. Then I opened up the heater core line and pumped the radiator hose till it flowed out a while into a container. I don't here anymore gurgling in the heater core so maybe I am free of this problem finally. Not to optimistic.

. But they all had a radiator cap. This one does not. Arggg.

No radiator cap/tranny dip stick etc, is Ford's way of telling "you the owner" that they don't want "you", working on or doing vehicle maintenance to one of their vehicles. They want you to take into one of their Ford dealerships for maintenance or repairs, where they will use their own Ford products and parts, thus more money for Ford.

well Ford can kiss my butt. I did a tranny refill this summer too:)

Just more work but worth saving $$$$.

Still hear a little coolant rushing through my heater core. But at least its hot!

Maybe I'll change out the heater control valve just for the heck of it. Its cheap.

done that over and over. No more bubble. I am thinking it must be my thermostat getting stuck. This didn't happen until I put in the new therm. Happened again 2x today. I'll test the therm tonight but could it be the temperature read sensor? Don't know what its called?
Hey thunder! How did you get the air bubbles out and was it the air pockets?

Back