• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

How to buy Police Interceptor Utility

billyfromhill

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Interceptor Utility
Does anybody know if Ford will sell a Police Interceptor Utility to anyone? I'm looking for an SUV with a column shifter that's not going to completely break the bank such as a Tahoe or Suburban. I want a console shifter because I've upfitted a fair amount of radio equipment and lights in my current vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jmr061

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Edge
Pr-16 Exp Sport
Ford has a rule that they can only be sold to "fleet" registered entities.

Therefore a new one can't be sold to a private person. You may find a dealers willing to break the rule but that will be a tough one to find.

Most people look for low mileage ones such as damaged in transit units or demo units. Those are "used" and can be sold to the public.

cwescapexlt4x4

Explorin' the Desert SW
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Litchfield Park, AZ area...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
There are some used UI out in the market as well.

m1275

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Police Utility
Hi, I just buy a Police Utility. I have been searching for a year. I did my searching using Google. I put in used "Ford Police Explorer for sale". I found car dealers that sell demo units or Department trade in vehicles. I also put in an email search on cargurus.com that's how I found my Utility. I get a daily email with dealers who have them for sale. I flew out to Utah and drove home to California. Good Luck:salute:

jmr061

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Edge
Pr-16 Exp Sport
Hi, I just buy a Police Utility. I have been searching for a year. I did my searching using Google. I put in used "Ford Police Explorer for sale". I found car dealers that sell demo units or Department trade in vehicles. I also put in an email search on cargurus.com that's how I found my Utility. I get a daily email with dealers who have them for sale. I flew out to Utah and drove home to California. Good Luck:salute:
Problem is from his statement of will Ford sell them I infer he wants to buy a new one, not a used one.

colintrax

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I'd bet ford sells the neccesary parts to convert to a column shift truck

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
If a dealer sells new Police vehicles to the general Public they risk a breach of the franchise agreement with Ford. Its a big risk for such little profit. Ford Fleet Management take that very seriously. Used is a different story. Exceptions have been made on a case by case basis for things like volunteer Firefighters, Search & Rescue, etc etc.

m1275

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Police Utility
Ford is not selling a new Utility to the public period. I've tried trust me. Right a Serramonte Ford is sitting on about 62 new Utilities refused by the San Francisco Police Department. I spoke the fleet salesman and under no circumstances will they sell a new truck than the LE or municipalities. Thats why I went the used route and i'm quite happy with it.:salute:

K5OUN

Reaction score
City, State
DFW TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Base
Havis makes a console for the retail explorer. It has 16 inches of up-fit space.

P

PIUtility

Trust me, I had letters and credentials, and I had to go 1700 miles away to find a dealer demo on the lot to get one in a timely manner.

JETZ

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I guess you meant 'column shifter'.

Does anybody know if Ford will sell a Police Interceptor Utility to anyone? I'm looking for an SUV with a column shifter that's not going to completely break the bank such as a Tahoe or Suburban. I want a console shifter because I've upfitted a fair amount of radio equipment and lights in my current vehicle.

Miami-Beach

Reaction score
City, State
Miami Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Crown Victoria
My buddy for weeks has been looking for a late model Utility as he only wanted a column shifter..He found a couple but they were at very shady used car dealers that could not provide service records or any other info about them..He ended up getting a 1 owner 2013 Suburban for 30K bucks.

Last edited:

P

PIUtility

Just an FYI.... Kunes Country Ford in Delevan WI usually has some damn good dealer demos under 10k miles on hand

SeanC898

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Ford PI Utility
Just an FYI.... Kunes Country Ford in Delevan WI usually has some damn good dealer demos under 10k miles on hand
This is where I bought Mine. 2014 White Ford Police Interceptor with 1125 miles on it. It's amazing.

AFKNinja

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Be weary though, according to Car and Driver the 2016 police Explorer is an inch lower than the civilian models, not sure if it pertains to the 2011-2015 models but it's definitely worth looking into specially as the Explorer is already low for an SUV

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
Be weary though, according to Car and Driver the 2016 police Explorer is an inch lower than the civilian models, not sure if it pertains to the 2011-2015 models but it's definitely worth looking into specially as the Explorer is already low for an SUV
The Sport and Utility sit 20mm lower than the other models, its part of the "Sport Tuned " suspension set up.

WayneonLI

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
As long as this is on the top, I have a question about the PIs:

I know they have the gearshift on the column, so where is the stalk that controls the wipers? I haven't seen the interior of one of these close up so I've been wondering.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

cwescapexlt4x4

Explorin' the Desert SW
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Litchfield Park, AZ area...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)