How to bypass rear seatbelt monitors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to bypass rear seatbelt monitors

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 XLT 4WD
Being that in the last 10 years of owning mid size SUVs I have never used my rear seats for passengers, I've decided to remove the 2nd and 3rd row seats and build out a nice cargo area (I'm a contractor and carry tools and materials all the time) and also a flat/level deck for sleeping on when I'm overnight at the racetrack or camping. I've laid some 3/4 plywood from front to rear over the backs of the seats but with the new slanted roofline the "fold flat" rear seating is now on a pretty good slant to the rear as well and I slide down to the rear all night, as do my tool boxes when I accelerate. I had built up the rear of the plywood as a test but its a sloppy solution at best. So out went the seats!

Seats were removed a couple days ago (3 seats on row 2 and 3rd row bench) and I get constant dash messages for "rear belt monitor fault". I expected this from the beginning but I'd like to know if there's some hack for getting the message to not pop up.

There's 3 individual wiring connectors for the 2nd row and 1 for the 3rd row. I'm assuming the interceptor Explorers have achieved this sensor delete since they remove the stock seats when they customize them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know what resistance, but some type of resistor should bypass the system. Can you detach the female ends of the seatbelts from the seats, reattach them to the electrical and set them under the plywood?

I don't know what resistance, but some type of resistor should bypass the system. Can you detach the female ends of the seatbelts from the seats, reattach them to the electrical and set them under the plywood?
No it's pretty interwoven into the seat assembly for each of the 2nd row seats. And the 3rd row is a single connector but jumps from belt to belt to belt through the back section. Again, pretty woven onto the structure and upholstery.

Being that in the last 10 years of owning mid size SUVs I have never used my rear seats for passengers, I've decided to remove the 2nd and 3rd row seats and build out a nice cargo area (I'm a contractor and carry tools and materials all the time) and also a flat/level deck for sleeping on when I'm overnight at the racetrack or camping. I've laid some 3/4 plywood from front to rear over the backs of the seats but with the new slanted roofline the "fold flat" rear seating is now on a pretty good slant to the rear as well and I slide down to the rear all night, as do my tool boxes when I accelerate. I had built up the rear of the plywood as a test but its a sloppy solution at best. So out went the seats!

Seats were removed a couple days ago (3 seats on row 2 and 3rd row bench) and I get constant dash messages for "rear belt monitor fault". I expected this from the beginning but I'd like to know if there's some hack for getting the message to not pop up.

There's 3 individual wiring connectors for the 2nd row and 1 for the 3rd row. I'm assuming the interceptor Explorers have achieved this sensor delete since they remove the stock seats when they customize them.
Buy seat bel extenders from Amazon and plug them into the seat belt connetors. Easy solution.

Buy seat bel extenders from Amazon and plug them into the seat belt connetors. Easy solution.
There's nothing to plug into. The wiring goes to each seat and to remove the seat you have to disconnect the wiring. And the female end of the seatbelt is part of the seat. Bolted and wired to the seat itself. Not reasonably removable. Someone replied to a similar post with the suggestion of removing all that wiring from another set of seats at a salvage yard. Bit of a needle in a haystack finding a 20-21 explorer with the same seats but worth a try.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't know if FORScan can be used to disable the warnings or not. Are you getting any airbag warnings?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't know if FORScan can be used to disable the warnings or not. Are you getting any airbag warnings?

Peter
After removing the 3rd row bench I got a restraint belt warning message. After removing the 3 2nd row seats I got an airbag light on the dash, it's showing a little icon on the face of the speedometer.

It has been mentioned by some members here that if you have the airbag warning light ON that the airbag system may not function.

Peter

After removing the 3rd row bench I got a restraint belt warning message. After removing the 3 2nd row seats I got an airbag light on the dash, it's showing a little icon on the face of the speedometer.
I ordered an ODB reader so I'll look in FORScan when it arrives.
It has been mentioned by some members here that if you have the airbag warning light ON that the airbag system may not function.

Peter
Yes, I'm aware of that. Part of why I didn't just tape a piece of cardboard over the dash and call it good. 😁. I'm looking at interceptor seats on ebay (some are local to me) but no one shows any photos with the wires. I've sent out a few messages asking for photos from below. I'm starting to wonder if the wires are removed from the seats and stowed in the interceptors somewhere to keep everything connected and active with no errors. Either that or possibly a termination plug they're using or a setting in FORScan.

I think theres a write about regarding installing the PIU brace and removing the rear seats for last gen, thought it mentioned seatbelt there

You might try contacting a company that does the modifications for PIU vehicles to see if they can provide guidance or a fix at their location.

You might try contacting a company that does the modifications for PIU vehicles to see if they can provide guidance or a fix at their location.
I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and figure out how to remove the factory wiring from the seats and just leave it plugged in and stashed in the floor somewhere.

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and figure out how to remove the factory wiring from the seats and just leave it plugged in and stashed in the floor somewhere.
If someone knows who those conversion companies are I'd be willing to make some calls.

There is a member here that was associated with a PD and seems to have a relationship with one of those companies. I forget the member's name, but I recall a thread about adding a light bar/push bar to his civilian vehicle and it had many pictures taken at a conversion shop. Sorry to not be of more help.

problem is the PIU comes without 3rd row, so they might now have to deal with seat belts
Do we know that for sure? Perhaps the upfitters just remove them and install the required bracing.

Peter

not sure, could've sworn it was mentioned here, but didnt see it now, but Im ADD, this is previous gen,
this is the gen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back