How to change the color of the gauge cluster. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to change the color of the gauge cluster.

How to change the color of the gauge cluster the ez way with no LEDs

I did have pics to make a better step by step but the camera is now broke but i this think this will help a few ppl that want different color gauges. A big thank you goes to MustangAndy for rewriting my wright up to make it a lot better .

Change Your Gauge Cluster Without Using LEDs!!

For this project you will need to follow bigtigexplorer’s “Indiglo gauges install or HOW TO REMOVE CLUSTER”

Follow this write-up until the step where it tells your to remove the 7mm screws securing the cluster to the dash. Instead of removing the cluster take out the small Torx head screws around the whole cluster using a 5.5mm socket or a Torx key. Then remove the clear plastic cover. You should now be able to touch the needles.

Start the vehicle and let it warm up. Take out a black fine point Sharpie and make a small mark where each needle is currently pointing to.

Now you can continue to follow the write-up by removing the cluster from the vehicle.

Use a small loop of fishing line and remove the needles from the pins they are pressed onto.

Peel the black facing off the cluster with a butter knife. Flip the facing over and scratch the paint off the backside. Do this only where you wish to change the color!

Here is a picture of what it will look like. Thanks to techboj:
Quote:
Originally Posted by techboj View Post
Side by side comparison with the film removed under bright light

Once you have the facing like this you can do one of two things.

Go to Wal-Mart, and in the kiddie’s craft section they have plastic stain glass paint that will look something like this.

OR
If you don't see a color you want go to the toy section by the model car kits and get the model paint (most likely it will be Testor’s) in the color(s) you want and a bottle of model paint thinner. Mix the model paint and thinner together until light can shine through it. A SMALL glass jar may help a bit. You’ll want this mixture to be really thin.

After you have that mixture or stain glass the color you want, paint the color over whatever part on the gauge you want with thin coats and let it dry. I held it up to my dome light until I got it to a point where the light was able to shine through, but was not too dark. Once you’re happy with the color and transparency, put it all back together. I put a drop of glue on the back of the face to help hold it.

This is how mine looks now. The tach, speedo, volt and gas are red. The KMH, water temp and oil are blue. The picture is with my laptop since my camera is broken. I’ll get a better one ASAP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey I had thought about that paint.
So it works I see!
Damn well ima be doin that very soon now
Thanks
Looks awesome btw

thats an excellent idea! very cheap way to MAKE IT YOUR OWN!

if i didnt already have new faces id definetly do this!

I forgot to add this hole thing took me about 30 mints and cost only $2.00. I have a lot of paint left so i will be doing the rest soon to. Thinks guys glad i could finally give back to a great forum.

Tryed to get a few better pic but didn't really work. when i get the 2 bulbs back in i will get a lot better pics.
Picture0002.jpg

this is with the dimmer turned down.
Picture0004.jpg

and i messed with the red eye thing on my PC and this is what it looks like with the green tint off and now color paint on it just the wight face look nice too.

Picture0002-1.jpg

That is awesome. I'm definitely doing this.

Holy CRAP! That gauge cluster removal looks like a NIGHTMARE. :eek:

Ya it's a real PIA. I still have 2 bulbs i need to put in but am like F all that work lol but im going to have to b/c my gas gauge is about 1/8 over full.

I'd be scared to f*ck something up or mess up the needles and have things not reading right...

Turn on the key-and make a drawing of where they point.

Then you have a reference for re assembling it. Use a loop of fishing line to remove the needles

You should be abe to do this in the time it takes to watch a baseball game on tv-

Im going to add that b/c I for got to and i had to take it all back off to get it right and gas is still a lil off. Also if anyone want to rewight this to make it easier to follow i think it would help a lot.

Redneck21 - redid your write-up, check your PM.

I'm going to have to try this in both cars. I hate green while everything else is blue.

-Andy
D.J.O.R. Netzhauptmann

Paraphoe said:
I'd be scared to f*ck something up or mess up the needles and have things not reading right...
Don't be a sissy, Jason. :D

You silence yourself! I'll get to it, I'll get to it. :p:

Redneck21 - redid your write-up, check your PM.

I'm going to have to try this in both cars. I hate green while everything else is blue.

-Andy
D.J.O.R. Netzhauptmann

Don't be a sissy, Jason. :D

Tanks i got it and put it up. I didn't like the ALL green and wanted to do something different and i'm glad it works so well. I need to do a lil bit of touch up but i just did this to my Honda with the model paint and a model paint air brush i had and it looks like a as if it was made that way.

So how did you go about recalibrating your rpm and speedo needles?

On my last car I used a fork to get the needles off the gauges it worked really well to pop them right off

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That came out really good- props on that effort!

Back