how to change the colour of your gauge lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to change the colour of your gauge lights

Jabez

Reaction score
**i take no responsibility for any damages caused by doing this **

i did this on a 1994 x

1) remove stereo trim panel - 2 screws by the ashtray then just pry it off starting at one end and work your way around.

2) remove 7 ( i believe ) small gold colored screws from around the gauge cluster ( this will allow you to remove the clear plastic and black piece behind it)

3) pull out gauges - these will come out in sections starting at your far left with the battery gauge just lightly pull out remove first 2 then the tach.
to remove speedo there are 2 small phillips screws one on either side of the needle these need to be removed.
remove 2 screws from bottom of speedo to remove gear selection display from gauge to disconnect cable.

4) Remove needles from all gauges, be careful not to break the stoppers on them or your needles will spin all the way around and not stop where their gauges max out.

5) now unlike most vehicles ford glued their clear plastic behind the gauges in place so what i did was CAREFULLY peel the gauge faces off the gauges. try not to touch the left over glue to much as this is what is going to hold the gauges back on.

6) clear the gauges - to do this i used nail polish remover and q-tips just dip your q-tip in the nail polish remover and lightly rub the backside of the gauge face where you wish to change the colour ( i did all the numbers and marks ) till they are clear, you can check if they are clear or not by holding them up to a light. the number should light up white instead of that awful green color.
once you have done this take a Sharpie ( i chose red to make my gauges match my stereo) and color in the areas you just cleared out with your choice of color or leave clear for white.

7) re-align gauge face onto gauges and press on. The glue from before should hold them in place, if not try some super glue or even a glue stick maybe.

8) push needles back onto gauges. ( i colored my needles as well )

9) put gauges back in starting with speedo then tach then gas gauge and finally with the battery gauge.

10) re-assemble dash, turn on lights, admire your new gauge light color.

i also changed the color of all my switched by puling them out ( self explanatory ) pull them apart ( 4 clips..2 on each side ) remove green rubber from light bulb and color the light bulb with your Sharpie. the only one i could not get to actually change were the 4x4 and 4 low lights that tell you that you are in 4wheel or 4low.

HVAC controls are same as gauges except just pull the controls off and selector knob and peel off the face just like you did the gauges, clear it out and color it back in.

good luck and enjoy.. oh and dont worry if when coloring them in you look at them through a light and they look faint, when i looked at mine i was worried cause they looked pink, but once put in the truck they are a nice deep red.

sorry i didnt get any pictures this write-up was kind of an afterthought

i will post pictures of it completely soon

:exporange

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent write up, comprehensive step by step how to. Great work mate, it will definitely help out anyone attempting this job:thumbsup:

Nice write up! Could you post a picture of it now with the lights on? I would like to change mine to blue one day!

i will take a picture tonight of it with the lights on when its dark out.
ive had blue guages before they are nice :thumbsup: i chose red because it matches my stereo plus red is the easiest color for your eyes to adjust to

and thanks guys :)

I tried the sharpie thing on my needles in my old 92' EB and it just came out horrid. :(

Cant wait to see yours though. Id like to do something cool to my cluster when it warms up a bit, cant decide what color(s) though.

how and what part of the needles did u sharpie? mine seem to have come out looking fine.

you dont need warm weather to work on ur truck :)

was -59 out last night when i tore my guages apart, then i did all the work inside lol

-59!? WHERE THE HELL DO YOU LIVE! Thats awful! Im *****ing about it being 20-30 degrees here :D

way up northern alberta, and minus 59 is with the windchill
-74.2 ºF is how could it would be in ferenheit as we use celsius.

Wow....wow...wow!

We were just watching the news and talking to some friends from Florida yesterday, telling us how its freezing there, (BEING 55f DEGREES!) and we were laughing about how its been about 20 here. I cant even imagine being -70. My Explorer would probably not even start, I know after sitting for a day and a half in 20* weather its sluggish when I start it

thats no good, mine is gunna be sitting for just over a week maybe 2 while i am in camp working. last time it started up first crank no problem without beeing plugged in ( block heater ) or needing a boost :)

she's a trooper, 320xxxkm on her and she runs like a champ lol

Nice:thumbsup:

I wish mine had a block heater, that'd be SO nice.

V8 or V6 :D

I want to goto Canada again this Summer...some of the most beautiful scenic places ive ever seen. I went with a friend about 5-6 years ago now, we went on theyre 50' Yacht and went to different marinas to stay a day, and then a few hours on the water the next day. Even though I was seasick the 5+ hour ride there, it was worth it :)

It was the east coast. Weve kinda lost touch, ill have to get ahold of him and ask where exactly we went.

west coast is much more beautiful, down around vancouver island :) and their is some wicked 4 wheeling on vanouver island too :D
thats where i grew up but now im in alberta cause theres more work and better money out here lol

Well were in Michigan, so the east coast was a little more realistic for us :D

I would love to just travel through Canada sometime in my lifetime though.

yea it is definately a nice trip :)

but if u get the chance to make it to vanouver island definately jump on it lol
or even anywhere in BC

way up northern alberta, and minus 59 is with the windchill
-74.2 ºF is how could it would be in ferenheit as we use celsius.

lol, reminds me of the time after my first kid was born. It was -44 before counting in the windchill and I had to take my motorcycle to the store since my car broke down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back