How to change your 05 Explorer V6's Spark Plugs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

How to change your 05 Explorer V6's Spark Plugs

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD
My owner manual recommends gap of 0.052-0.056. Where did you find the 0.061-0.068 recommendation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

High_Order1

Reaction score
City, State
near Oak Ridge, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Jack Bauer Edition
Everything I quote in my posts comes directly from the Ford Service DVD. It's an older one.

I never, ever, ever use aftermarket manuals. Some people like them, but I think once they use a factory manual, they'll never go back. I also thought it interesting that Ford recommended different plugs for the left and right banks, too.

turborich

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
The plugs in the 4.0 SOHC are a piece of cake to change compared to the 4.6/5.4 engines.

With 95,000 on the clock there was absolutely no difference after installing new plugs. While I agree that it is a maintenance that should be performed I have NEVER had any results after changing spark plugs (including smoothness or MPG increases) unless the plug(s) were mechanically damaged or oil fouled. Regardless of the results, I still change them when specified.

BTW, Extremely good write up for people who are new to changing spark plugs. It will help save people money while ensuring a job well done. :thumbsup:

Tock

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLS Sport
Try doing it sober.

I appreciate your consideration of all lifestyles lol! Great post, and even though I do know what's special about a spark plug socket, this did give me the reassurance I wanted to try and squeeze this in on a work night (in my garage, of course)

davidmmm69

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
2010 Ford Explorer V6 Fall River Ma...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
My 2002 mountaineer 4.6 was the easiest spark plugs I've ever replaced.