How to Check Fuel Pressure 2005 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to Check Fuel Pressure 2005 Explorer

squaredog

Reaction score
City, State
KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Explorer
2005 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Ed.
4.0L SOHC Flex Fuel

It all started about 3 months ago when the check engine soon light came on our Explorer. Autozone pulled the code and said it was something in the fuel. The options it gave were Fuel Pressure Sensor, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Filter, and/or Fuel pump.

Day before yesterday the wife went out to start the explorer and it wouldn't start. I checked the air filter and spark plugs and they looked ok. Knowing the fuel pressure had the engine light on I assumed it was related to that. To the best of my knowledge the regulator and pressure sensor are both on the fuel pump assembly so I figured changing out the fuel pump is the way to go. While I was at Autozone I went ahead and picked up a fuel filter as well.

Once the fuel pump and filter were changed the explorer started right up. Idling good and running good. The engine light went off. I drove the explorer over to a friends house to test it out. After about 30 minutes it died while stopped at a red light. After that I had to keep one foot on the gas to keep it running while stopped and it sputtered while driving. Finally after about 15 more minutes it died again and coasted off the road and the engine light came back on. Being 10pm, in a semi-safe location, and 12 degrees out I left it for the next day. So this morning I went back out to the explorer, started it and drove it home with no problems. Left it setting in the driveway for about 20 minutes idling and it did fine, idling smooth at 1k rpm.

So now I am trying to troubleshoot the problem. I pulled the codes and got:

P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input
P0172 - System too Rich (Bank 1)
P0174 - System too Lean (Bank 2)
P0175 - System too Rich (Bank 2)
P2196 - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich Bank 1 Sensor 1
P2197 - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean Bank 2 Sensor 1
P2198 - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich Bank 2 Sensor 1

I figured the best place to start is by checking the fuel pressure. After a few hours of searching the engine and internet I've came to the conclusion there is no schrader valve on this model. I'm yet to find anywhere to check the fuel pressure.

1. Am I correct that the regulator and sensor are both on the fuel pump assembly? This is the pump I have..

2. Does anyone have any experience with these error codes and/or with checking the fuel pressure on this model?

Thanks for any and all help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2005 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Ed.
4.0L SOHC Flex Fuel

It all started about 3 months ago when the check engine soon light came on our Explorer. Autozone pulled the code and said it was something in the fuel. The options it gave were Fuel Pressure Sensor, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Filter, and/or Fuel pump.

Day before yesterday the wife went out to start the explorer and it wouldn't start. I checked the air filter and spark plugs and they looked ok. Knowing the fuel pressure had the engine light on I assumed it was related to that. To the best of my knowledge the regulator and pressure sensor are both on the fuel pump assembly so I figured changing out the fuel pump is the way to go. While I was at Autozone I went ahead and picked up a fuel filter as well.

Once the fuel pump and filter were changed the explorer started right up. Idling good and running good. The engine light went off. I drove the explorer over to a friends house to test it out. After about 30 minutes it died while stopped at a red light. After that I had to keep one foot on the gas to keep it running while stopped and it sputtered while driving. Finally after about 15 more minutes it died again and coasted off the road and the engine light came back on. Being 10pm, in a semi-safe location, and 12 degrees out I left it for the next day. So this morning I went back out to the explorer, started it and drove it home with no problems. Left it setting in the driveway for about 20 minutes idling and it did fine, idling smooth at 1k rpm.

So now I am trying to troubleshoot the problem. I pulled the codes and got:

P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input
P0172 - System too Rich (Bank 1)
P0174 - System too Lean (Bank 2)
P0175 - System too Rich (Bank 2)
P2196 - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich Bank 1 Sensor 1
P2197 - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean Bank 2 Sensor 1
P2198 - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich Bank 2 Sensor 1

I figured the best place to start is by checking the fuel pressure. After a few hours of searching the engine and internet I've came to the conclusion there is no schrader valve on this model. I'm yet to find anywhere to check the fuel pressure.

1. Am I correct that the regulator and sensor are both on the fuel pump assembly? This is the pump I have..

2. Does anyone have any experience with these error codes and/or with checking the fuel pressure on this model?

Thanks for any and all help!!!
P0172 P0174 P0175
P2196 P2197 P2198 are codes that deal with your oxygen sensors usually. When the signal is biased, it typically means that there is a malfunction with the sensor and it has to be replaced. Bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1 are both upstream oxygen sensors. The location of these sensors are before the cat. Bank 1 would be the side where the first cylinder fires. Bank 2 would be on the side where the second cylinder fires.

Possible causes for p0193
- Excessive resistance in the circuit
- Low or no fuel
- Wiring harness connector of the fuel pressure sensor
- Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor
- Fuel Pump

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0193_ford.html#ixzz2IlMUOPNS

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input guys!

One thing I can't figure out is where the pressure sensor is located. On the diagram it shows the fuel pressure sensor and temp sensor built together under the intake on the fuel rail. However, if you search the Autozone or Advanced Auto site for the part it only shows a temperature sensor or a fuel tank pressure sensor but mentions nothing of them being a combo.

Having the same thing going on, same codes too. Have replaced the pressure sensor and 3-4 weeks later it slowly has come back. Replaced filter and gas cap but nothing.

Let me know what you find out. I put another fuel pump on it and all the lights went off except PO193. Hasn't died since or shown any other problems yet.

Having the same thing going on, same codes too. Have replaced the pressure sensor and 3-4 weeks later it slowly has come back. Replaced filter and gas cap but nothing.
Were you able to resolve issue? Same thing, and codes here

Back