How to check shape of radius arm drop brackets? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to check shape of radius arm drop brackets?

JeffNJ94Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Middlesex, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer 5MT
Hey everyone, my radius arm bushings are really, really bad, and I am afraid tha the radius arm drop brackets are ovaled out and will need replacement. I don't want to get a new set of brackets unless i need them. If i remove the bolt holding the back half of the radius arm bushing onto the radius arm, will I beable to see the roundness of the hole in the bracket? Whadda ya think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced the radius arm bushings on my 1993 XLT 4x4 a few weeks ago. What a $#&^!% fun job that was.

If I remember correctly I could see the hole in the bracket with the rear washer removed and the rear bushing(s) out of the way on the side that still had bushings in it, but one set of bushings on one side of my truck had completely fallen out on one end and the radius arm was riding on metal on the one side.

That was a scary, noisy clunking sound the first time I hit bumps or hit the brakes and heard it. After I found out what it was I drove it around re-e-eal easily until I bought two sets of Napa's top of the line bushings and decided to put them in myself (a savings of $225.00 if I had it done at a local shop or $420.00 if I had it done at Ford).

IT WAS A BIT OF WORK and I'm sure I didn't do everything a shop would have done when I replaced mine. I removed the coil springs and the lower spring seat but didn't remove the radius arms when I did it. I had to do some prying and maneuvering to get them replaced.

Just remember how the bushing(s) come off of the radius arm. It's all a fog now but I believe Napa's set of bushings had 3 per side. I can't remember if 2 bushings went in the front or in the back of the bracket and they had a particular way they were supposed to be installed.

put the new bushing in the hole, and the nylon spacer around the circle
How does it fit?
It ifs out of round the bushing will show you where

can you post a picture?

yes you can remove the rear bushing and get a look see
Even if its a bit oval shaped right now its better to replace the bushings then not, even the worst worn bracket I have seen still worked pretty well with new bushings.
Welding it up is the next step or getting a used one.
They are pretty tought so it takes some abuse to get them oval shaped

Remove the bushings and take a look........don't jump to conclusions.

As for the bushing set and how they are oriented, I remember seeing the RABs set up online:

http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...&mfrpartnumber=SHB1495K&parttype=2043&ptset=A

If you have trouble with orientation of various parts in the larger scheme of things....may I suggest the new LMC catalog.

The catalog features a lot of Ford Explorer (1st Gen 0nly) parts and line diagrams, so you can visualize the orientation of the parts (how they fit together)......not to mention they will tell you their price on parts.

www.LMCtruck.com

The catalog is FREE and specific to the Ford Explorer.

Aloha, Mark

cool, thanks guys, yeah i want to take off the rear bushings and get a look at the hole so I can order/get all the parts I need and not end up missing something i need in the middle of the repair. I'll post some pics once i get those rear bushings off. Thanks for your help guys:thumbsup:

Here ya go 410, here are some pics, the left side looks usable, but the right side is totaly FUBAR'd, since i'm not a welder, i'll have to get at least the right side. I stuck some cut of pieces of old hose in there for now so it doesn't clunk and it will hopefully go thru inspection before i get time to put the new bushings in it

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

yep either weld up that side or replace it

2nd opinion.....not that you asked for one....but, replace or repair. BTW...nice pics.

IMHO...replace the part. I say that, cause I don't have a welder.

A pro welder's time is $$.

And, to get the "lip" put on the metal is gonna be hard. I believe that the lip is needed so, the new bushings won't get chewed up by a sharp edge. Some may just weld the buggered part up and make the hole round again.....but, as I said, I think the "lip" is needed.

Junk yard part is OK by me.

Aloha, Mark

Back