How to clean inside of fog light lenses? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to clean inside of fog light lenses?

I bought a used valance and fog lights and would like to clean the inside of the fog lenses. They came off a 98 and I'm pretty sure the lenses are glass.. any idea what would be ok to pour in them and let them soak with?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

soap and water. maybe you can use a long Qtip or skinny paintbrush to scrub the inside. When you install them with the bulbs, make sure the housing is dry and well sealed. Any water in there causes the bulbs to burn out quickly.

plastic

magic25

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, those lenses are plastic.

you need to use bulbs very close to the 37.5 watt 893's or whatever it has, these will MELT quite easily if you go with much more.

sorry

peter

Has anyone actually seen a light housing melt?
I find it hard to believe that the composit material they use will be much aeffected by going from 37 to 50 or 55 watts.
Only thing I have seen happen is the bulbs burn out sooner cause the housing wasnt designed to dissapate the heat caused by the higher wattage and that shortens bulb life.
Just soap and water...Nothing stronger.

I haven't seen one melt, but I have seen cracks caused by heat. The '92 to '95 Taurus SHO used rectangular shaped fog lights like the earlier Explorers. They were notorious for developing a heat crack just above the stock 37.5Watt bulb. No way these pathetic excuses for a real lamp could take an overwattage bulb.

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
Has anyone actually seen a light housing melt?
I find it hard to believe that the composit material they use will be much aeffected by going from 37 to 50 or 55 watts.
Only thing I have seen happen is the bulbs burn out sooner cause the housing wasnt designed to dissapate the heat caused by the higher wattage and that shortens bulb life.
Just soap and water...Nothing stronger.

Once I actually looked at them I realized they were plastic. Should I just say screw it and buy different fogs, if so what do you suggest? (Nothing expensive, i'm not spending $100 on fogs...I dont offroad or anything)

Originally posted by Magicfan25
(Nothing expensive, i'm not spending $100 on fogs...I dont offroad or anything)

You don't need to off-road to get fogs. I have two sets of extra lights on mine. I use one as auxilllary driving lights at night, and the others come on withmy high beams to light up everything. They help a lot when driving in really dark places (no street lights). or long stretches of road.

I dont need two sets, after reading a write up I know how to fool the relay I'm pretty sure. Just need to give the lights a constant ground, like the radio fuse or somethin. I'm just gonna get somethin to fit in the stock fog location since I just bought a valance for that reason.

Been thinkin about gettin Silverstar bulbs and I wanna go with brighter fogs too..why bother burnin them up ya know.

i've had 50 watt bulbs in mine for as long as i can remember with everything else stock and have had no problems.

I thought the lens is glass? At least they crack like glass because I've seen some Explorer with cracked lens.

They are plastic, but they'll crack just the same as a glass one will

Back