How to deal with your significant other | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to deal with your significant other

hardywo

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT Stick
My girlfriend definitely has voiced many, many objections to me modifying, and then continuing to modify my explorer. She uses terms like "stupid," and calls it an "obsession." She wants to know when it's going to end - when I'll finally be happy and finished with my truck. Just out of curiosity, what have you other guys gone through, and how have you convinced the girls in your lives that you're not crazy or simply obsessed with your truck? ;) This should be interesting so lets hear some stories...
2534702_2_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can't convince them about anything so don't even try. If you spend money on the truck it will be less money you will spend on them. The same with the computer. If you spend time on the computer it will be less time you spend with them. They feel like they have to compete with anything you do.

Don't know how to help ya there. I picked one that was a car nut too. My wife is usually out helping me work on the vehicles.

For any long term relationship make sure you have one that at least has similar tastes/hobbies. Makes life a little easier in the long run.

Don't know how to help ya there. I picked one that was a car nut too. My wife is usually out helping me work on the vehicles.

For any long term relationship make sure you have one that at least has similar tastes/hobbies. Makes life a little easier in the long run.

^What he said. My Girlie is excited and eager to learn about the things I do, and I'm slowly working my way into the things she likes to do. When you're taking on a long-term relationship, check your insecurities and hang-ups at the door.

ummm.... your drive shaft seems to be a little loose.... :D

My fiance don't get to bothered with it, she was a city girl til we hooked up, that changed stuff bout her, she likes to learn bout the trucks and know what the diff. parts do and all that, and if I decide to do something to my ex she just watches and asks if she don't get what I'm doing, at first she got ticked bout it but thats all changed shes taken an interest in the stuff :D

My fiance asked me what the transfer case does yesterday. It was one of the happiest moments in our relationship.

My fiance asked me what the transfer case does yesterday. It was one of the happiest moments in our relationship.

I never gave mine a chance to ask lol, I was explaining to her how the 4X4 works and how ya get low range.

There are other things guys can obsess about that are more threatening to a relationship.

At least she knows where the money and your time goes.

Avoid credit card receipts from Sweet Caroline's Auto-Erotica and Body Shop and you'll do fine It's tough to explain the difference between a lapped valve and a lap dance. :rolleyes:

When i was with the ex-wife i gave up drag racing and auto crossing and other projects i had going on. Let me tell you id never make that mistake again. If i cant find someone who enjoys what i like and what makes me happy then ill just stay single lol.

Theres 2 ways to deal with this, you can either try to get her into it and explain why you like to do it (this can be hard) or you can go defensive and give her **** about one of her hobbies. Like her "shopping" habbits and explain if you want to do this with out me complaining then you don't complain about the truck. :thumbsup: (plan to sleep on the couch BTW)

But either way the chick will complain and complain cause 98% of women want to keep you on the shortest leash and know they can make you do anything they want. Its not about them wanting your time its about them knowing they got you by the balls :salute:

LOL

I wont even begin to try and find an answer for this one.... put it this way... the X was a gift for my wife... she now considers it MY X and is waiting for her new car.

Imagine her leaving on vacation... me then installing the rear exit bumper exhaust and my fender grills.... then trying to convince her that they were already there before she left... lol As you can see.... I sneak things in at this point :) But she already said... get me my car next... and do what ever you want to that dam car.. So maybe thats the solution!!! At least it is for me :)

So project "new car for wife" is already underway :)

My wife wants an old muscle car so I just tell her I have to finish my explorer first :D

If that don't work...i cry, run up to my bedroom, slam the door, and tell her she's being insensitive and that she's trying to change me. :confused: :D

Theres 2 ways to deal with this, you can either try to get her into it and explain why you like to do it (this can be hard)
Yeah its like her trying to convince me of her purse obsession :(

or you can go defensive and give her **** about one of her hobbies. Like her "shopping" habbits and explain if you want to do this with out me complaining then you don't complain about the truck. :thumbsup: (plan to sleep on the couch BTW)
Good one, but ive tried it, and she says you cant compare the amount of money that goes into the truck to my 4 purses.... :rolleyes:

If that don't work...i cry, run up to my bedroom, slam the door, and tell her she's being insensitive and that she's trying to change me. :confused: :D

lol... use the womens technique aye... I like that one.. lol

ha ha--wow-I feel ya:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back