• Register Today It's free!

How to diagnose a wheel bearing..

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
I've got a nice humming/rumbling sound coming from what appears to be the front drivers side wheel. I'm almost positive but before I go and spend $130 on a new one I was wondering if there's any way or tell tale signs besides checking for play to see if it's definitely that wheel and the bearing and not something else. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just replaced my drivers side wheel bearing the other day because it started throwing grease out of the outer seal. When the passenger side went there was a grumbling/howl noise at speed. If you turn to right and the noise worsens its most likely the drivers side. Not to difficult of a job and there is a sticky in the stock 02-05 explorer forum. Good luck.

I wound up just replacing the driver side and it's nice and quiet again. I figured it was that side because every time it'd rain i would find a big blob of blackness on the bottom of that rim and I could feel a vibration under my feet when I drove. I've changed them before on other cars only because the abs sensor went, never because of the actual bearing. Pretty easy 1 hour job in my opinion.

ive got the vibration but no signs of grease. in yalls experience how long before it actually "went" after it started going bad?

I drove on mine for like a month and a half so like 4000 miles and it never "went" just got really loud and annoying.

I drove mine for about a year and simply turned the radio up. I had no idea these things could completely let go. Imagine my surprise on the highway when the truck started swaying eratically back and forth. Fortunately I had slowed to 50mph when the rear left completely let go and the tire suddenly turned 90 deg to the right. I got lucky and saved it avoiding a roll over.

My advise...If you hear noise change it before you have a serious accident and a hefty bill. I ended up having to replace about 1700$ in parts because it ate through the shaft and decimated the brakes, knuckle etc

Back