• Register Today It's free!

How to disable factory alarm?

Tshark299

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I've recently acquired a '93 XLT from my father... basically a "if you can fix it, you can have it" type of thing. He had already bought a new Ranger and was going to scrap it so this winter I gave it a new lease on life by dropping the transmission myself and put a new clutch slave in it.

The thing is loaded... it seems to have every option except an automatic transmission. The only one I don't want is the factory alarm system. It goes through phases where it seems to have a mind of its own, honking and flashing for no apparent reason at the most random of times. I live in an apartment now and don't want to give my crotchety neighbors an excuse to complain. I don't need an alarm... nobody would want to steal this pile and I live in a relatively safe area as well.

I remember my father having similar problems with it even when the truck was new, so he stopped using the keyless entry. The alarm never went off once afterward. The "Anti-Theft" light would flash when a door was open but otherwise it would never stay on. Now after it's been sitting dead for a year or so, the Anti-Theft light stays on if I lock the doors with the interior button or the remote, and the sporadic alarm problem has come back.

My dad doesn't remember how he prevented it from arming 15 years ago.. he thought he just stopped using the remote to lock it but that's not working for me, because it arms even if I just use the power lock switch on the door. The only way the light doesn't stay on is if I manually lock each door individually, which is a pain.

So how do I keep this alarm system from arming itself? I've done alot of searching on here, and found alot of people with similar problems, but not a definitive solution. I read something about the module being in the rear kick panel, and will look there and play with that tomorrow, but was hoping for a little more insight as well. I'd like to keep the keyless entry if possible, but am willing to live without it if it's integrated into the alarm system. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The anti-theft should not be integrated into the keyless entry. There are 2 seperate modules. The anti-theft has 2 connectors, and the keyless entry has 3 connectors. They are both located in the left rear side panel. Disconnecting the anti-theft module completely will probably create a no cranking condition as the starter relay is wired through it. Of the 2 connecters 1 will have 8 wires, and the other will have 11 wires. Try unplugging the connector with 11 wires , and see if your starter and keyless entry will still work. It looks like it should. If this works for you, tape the disconnected connecter to the harness.

ghosttrain, thanks for the quick reply and great help. I found the modules... was a little confused at first because I didn't see the anti-theft module hidden farther to the front, and only saw the amp for the factory JBL audio system with the keyless module,which also has 3 connectors.

Tried the 8 wire connector first since it was closer, and would have had to remove it to get at the farther one anyway. Sure enough no start. Squeezed in even farther to get the 11-wire, reconnected the 8 wire, and it started right up. I shut it off, locked it a few times with both the remote and the door switch and got no light on the dash, and no alarm when I tried to unlock it with the key. Me and my neighbors thank you!

Ghosttrain2
Do you have any suggestions on how to disarm the alarm on a 2002 explorer?
It goes off when it feels like it also.

Thanks,

Dennis

The anti-theft should not be integrated into the keyless entry. There are 2 seperate modules. The anti-theft has 2 connectors, and the keyless entry has 3 connectors. They are both located in the left rear side panel. Disconnecting the anti-theft module completely will probably create a no cranking condition as the starter relay is wired through it. Of the 2 connecters 1 will have 8 wires, and the other will have 11 wires. Try unplugging the connector with 11 wires , and see if your starter and keyless entry will still work. It looks like it should. If this works for you, tape the disconnected connecter to the harness.

THANKS ghosttrain2!!!
it really worked! I wasnt sure what wireing harness you were talking about but i found it and it was weird a first because i unpluged the first wireing harness and it made a screaching noise from the front dash and i couldnt figure out where it came from but then i un pluged the other one and it works fine now, im going to try to find a wire digram to find out what wire i can snip off so i can plug it back in but thanks a ton!!

Trev :exp:

Just for those of you like me trying to do this, on my '94 it is the 2 sets of white wire harnesses in front of the others behind the fixed part of the panel (yes that means you need really skinny hands). Of the 2 white connectors it is the most forward connector you have to disconnect, I had to disconnect both then re-connect the 8-pin (rear most connector).

thanks,
AJ

From what I have been told all you need to do is ground the brown wire coming from the computer mounted on the passenger side kick panel.

I've not done mine yet but that is how I'll be doing it. Was told this by a ford master mechanic with around 30 years of experience.

Alarm disable

Ghosttrain:

I, too, have a 93 XLT from my father that runs well, but has the same issue. Doesn't even give a clicking sound from the solenoid when I push the kill switch under the steering column. The only way to reset is to disconnect the battery for 10 seconds or so. I tried your remedy of looking for the 11 wire bundle forward of the 4wd black box above the dirver's side rear wheel, but there is nothing there. I do have three black connectors aft of the washer reservoir with 4 wires in them each, and one grey connector that has 9 wires going into 6 "ports" and 6 wires coming out the other side. Any chance these may be causing the problem? I really appreciate the help! I have pictures if you need them. :usa:

coloradoclopper-
unfortunately I have moved since this thread was posted, and the ford wiring EVTM I have is still packed in storage. Do you know if you have a factory system, or dealer installed?
The original one on my '94 was a dealer installed,and I removed it as it started malfunctioning.

Ghosttrain,
Got it figured out. I appreciate the reply. It seems that the alarm's black box was tucked up above the fuse box. I thought it was factory since the key FOBs said Ford on them, but am not so sure anymore. There were two 20 amp fuses on wires leading to the box. One appeared to kill power to the alarm system once removed, and the other had something to do with the kill switch. I had to leave the kill switch one in place, and just bypassed the kill switch by splicing the two wires to the switch together. It has been starting great for two days now. Thanks again! :usa:

i cant find the 2 moduals you are talking about for key less entry and anti theft i, keep looking in the back of my explorer but i just cant find it do you have to remove anything to get to it

Do you have a 1st gen? Says you have an 02. That is a different setup.

how old is this thread ?

this thread was started in 2009, and relates only to first gen. explorers

I have the same issue with my 93. I had the problem before, but always used the key fob to reset the system. I was out of the country for about 6 six months, and just put the battery back in, but have lost the key-fobs. On the left side i have the rear windsheild washer bottle, and 2 connectors there, I disconnected both, and tried if that was what you were explaining, but neither worked. Are there any more connectors in that area, or am i looking at the wrong side?

got it fixed, turns out the stupid little box i always kick when I'm driving was my alarm box

Any more advice on this ...
I lost my keys to my 94xlt, including the keyless entry. That was always the only way I could turn the alarm off, and I cant get it to a shop. Every time I plug in the battery, the damn alarm goes off. Pics or somethin of exactly what to connect and disconnect, I think i've tried everything !

Okay got it to work. Now any advice on how to get a new key fob ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You just have to pull the plug located in the left rear panel. I pulled mine and my alarm issues went away with the plug. I don't have any other issues from unplugging it but don't have remote start, key-less entry or anything like that.

My problem was, any time and every time, it rained my alarm would be set off. Then it took anywhere from 8 hours to several days for it to dry out and be able to start again. The last straw was when I was heading home at 3am one morning. First the horn went off on the busiest road in my town, then it wouldn't start. The place I ended up parking it at was a PITA to deal with regarding leaving it there for more than a minute.

Just pull the plug and good luck, it should be fixed. I was going to do a how to on this but have not had the time or a camera. :(

Back