how to disable the remote keyless entry on a 95 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to disable the remote keyless entry on a 95

Texan01

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Ok here's the deal, I've got the factory RKE on my '95 which works fine. The problem is somebody around here that lives in my apt. complex has the same frequency as mine is forever setting off the panic alarm or the horn chirp.

So basically all I want to know is, if I disconnect the module in the back, will that kill the keyless entry?

I've looked into just pulling the power lock fuse but it's tied into the windows and seats.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it out and give it to me...haha Just joking..

Ok all that needs to happen is you need to make the computer "relearn" the code for your transmitter. Cycle the key on and off 3 times (or until the door locks lock and unlock), push the lock button on your transmitter. The doors will cycle again. Now turn the key to the off position and they will cycle a final time voila that should make your transmitter the only one that controls your truck.

Sort of. You need to turn your key on and off 5 times ('97 and earlier, 8 times '98 and up). Also, be sure you press a button on all of the remotes you have for your Explorer. Once you reprogram one, all of them loose the programming and have to be reprogrammed at the same time.

What makes you so sure someone is pressing a panic button? I have seen problems with the hood switch failing that causes the factory alarm to randomly go off. If after reprogramming it still goes off, look in to a switch failure (door, hood, hatch).

Thanks for clarifying that Robert, I sort of thought you would chime in on this. It's been too long since I've done mine.

Found out because the doors would be unlocked without setting the alarm off. reprogramed it last night and so far it's still secure so we'll see.

I know that there are aftermarket RKEs that can work off the same frequencies. I have a friend whose car I can unlock and lock with my remote and vise-versa. She has a Saturn so anythings possible.

Back