HOW TO: DIY CAI for 4.0 SOHC Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HOW TO: DIY CAI for 4.0 SOHC Explorer Sport

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
Well I figured since homemade CAI's are extremely easy and cheap to make why not do one up for my 02 Explorer Sport since I was already doing one for the wife's 2007 Envoy. My goal with this truck is more MPG, but a few more ponies under the hood cannot hurt either. It will be getting Gibson shorty headers and a Gibson exhaust here soon as well as a tune. And I have a ASP UDP sitting around that I may just throw on here too.

Onto the CAI pictures. The parts list is as follows:

-Silicone Elbow 45 degree 3.5" x1EA
-Aluminum Pipe 3.5" x1Foot (You need to cut to shorter length)
-Silicone Reducer 3.5" - 3.25" x1EA
-T-Bolt Clamp 3.5" x3EA
-T-Bolt Clamp 3.25" x3EA
-Brass Fitting 5/8" Hose barb - 3/8" MIP x1EA
-Hose, Fuel/Emissions 5.8" x1Foot (You will need to cut to shorter length)
-Hose Clamp 7/8" x2EA
-MAFS Adapter, Aluminum 3.0"(generic Pep Boys one) x1EA
-7mmx1.0 x25mm Bolts with lock washers and nuts x4EA
-Sheet Aluminum from hardware store 24"x24" x1EA (cut to fit obviously)
-Foam, winter pipe insulation from hardware store x1EA
-Air filter, K&N (Short) with 3.0" Flange
-RTV, Black Sensor safe (for sealing the pipe threads on hose barb)

You will need basic tools such as:

-Screwdrivers
-Drill with drill bits of varying sizes
-Tin Snips
-Ratchet set and sockets
-3/8" NPT Pipe Tap (if you decide to thread the hoe barb fitting into the aluminum intake tube)

You do not need to use the T-Bolt clamps like I did. You can use regular worm drive hose clamps to secure your silicone pieces. I only went with T-Bolt because I have so many laying around from building turbo systems and because I may go forced induction with this truck in the eventual future. You will reuse your stock MAFS itself and the MAFS foam gasket too. The total cost will be in the $80 range and you can get most of the silicone parts on the net and the rest of the more basic stuff from your local auto parts store or hardware store. Fabrication and install time will take anywhere from a few hours to half a day depending on your experience level. One item to note is that you will need to drill and thread the aluminum pipe for the hose barb fitting which means you need a 3/8" NPT pipe tap. Another option you can choose is a double sided hose barb fitting and then stop by your local auto parts store and pick up a rubber grommet of proper size that will allow the hose barb to fit snugly into it. Make sure you do not have a leak at the hose barb fitting otherwise your air fuel ratios will be off. When you go to make the aluminum heat shield I suggest having the CAI already completely made and use cardboard as a template. Just measure cut, measure cut, and keep repeating until the pattern fits right. Remember to keep in mind where the hood-liner will rest when the hood is down. You will need to make the heat shield extend up above the engine bay a bit so it conforms to the shape of the hood-liner to get a good seal. Once the cardboard pattern is made just transfer it to the sheet of aluminum. Another suggestion I have, and what I did, is to make a little mounting tab on the shield that will use the windshield washer reservoir mounting bolt to secure it. Then I used the 4 bolts that mounted the MAFS to the aluminum MAFS Flange to anchor the shield to the MAFS too, which is why they are a tad long at 25mm. Doing it this way will secure the shield quite well in the engine bay so it doesn't rattle or move.

Best of luck and if tackled with patience it can be a fun little afternoon project that will save you a bit of money, work just as well as any name brand CAI, and give your truck a little more go while saving some gas.

IMG_20120110_134539.jpg

IMG_20120110_134546.jpg

IMG_20120110_134608.jpg

IMG_20120110_134630.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great job. I may just have to give this a shot. I like your heat shield, forces it to take cooler air, not the air under the hood. I think it may be different on the older SOHC, not sure if the throttle body is at the same angle because I know they have different intakes, and the engine cover is angled on yours, and straight on mine.

Great job. I may just have to give this a shot. I like your heat shield, forces it to take cooler air, not the air under the hood. I think it may be different on the older SOHC, not sure if the throttle body is at the same angle because I know they have different intakes, and the engine cover is angled on yours, and straight on mine.

True, some of the 4.0 SOHC intakes do angle the throttlebody at a different angle than mine but if you are talking about the loop intake or whatever the heck we call it then the TB is in a similar position and angle is memory serves correct. Worst case scenario you might have to get a different angle of silicone connector to go from your TB to the intake tube; and possibly route things just a little bit different. Most of the 4.0 SOHC's in the Explorers that I have seen orient the TB about 45 degrees toward the passenger side, but some are different.

True, some of the 4.0 SOHC intakes do angle the throttlebody at a different angle than mine but if you are talking about the loop intake or whatever the heck we call it then the TB is in a similar position and angle is memory serves correct. Worst case scenario you might have to get a different angle of silicone connector to go from your TB to the intake tube; and possibly route things just a little bit different. Most of the 4.0 SOHC's in the Explorers that I have seen orient the TB about 45 degrees toward the passenger side, but some are different.

Thanks for the info, i guess it wouldn't be hard for me to just go look, the engine cover has been off for months, I lost the screws:rolleyes:

Nice!

This thread can now go back to being awesome for you DIY'ers out there.

As with any modification, use at your own risk.

Geez, hasn't that been said already? :hammer:

This thread can now go back to being awesome for you DIY'ers out there.

As with any modification, use at your own risk.

Geez, hasn't that been said already? :hammer:

Thanks Jon. :thumbsup:

How's it holding up since you made it? Im thinking about makeing one for my 97 its the 5.0 so it will be different but not by much

Totally fine. It is just tubing, silicone connectors, clamps, and sheet metal so it isn't anything complex or breakable.

How is the sound? is it like the manufactured aftermarket kind?

How is the sound? is it like the manufactured aftermarket kind?

Sounds pretty good. The same as any other CAI made by a bulk manufacturer.

Very nice rocket! I made one for my other SUV and frankensteined a manufactured one for the Explorer to go along with FIPK from K&N. No shielding on mine, would like to make something up like you did. Do u have any pics of where it attatches to the overflow tank? Great idea to use that to bolt to!

Very nice rocket! I made one for my other SUV and frankensteined a manufactured one for the Explorer to go along with FIPK from K&N. No shielding on mine, would like to make something up like you did. Do u have any pics of where it attatches to the overflow tank? Great idea to use that to bolt to!

No pictures of that. But it is literally just a small (roughly 2"x1") tab I made while cutting out the shape of the aluminum that is bent to a 90* angle paying parrallel to the length of the vehicle with a small hole drilled in it to allow the washer reservoir bolt to go through it. Between that and the MAFS 4 bolt flange the shield is held quite firmly in place.

I heard people say you need a tune (?) when putting on a intake. If I made my own like yours but not the same do I need a tune or will my enigne blow up if I don't?

Well yes and no. In some cases you will need a retune to dial your air fuel ratios (AFR's) back into spec. However, in my particular case I datalogged my AFR's to see what they were after the CAI and all was well. But remember that results will vary so I suggest that you have yours checked out after just to keep things safe. Besides, if you aren't tuned yet then going with a CAI and then a tune to support it and also unlock more power will have a much greater positive affect on power and performance.

okay, so, can I only get these silicone connectors online?! I cant seem to find any of them at my local stores. Do you have any cheap recommendations?

And how did you use the pipe insulation??? I am not quite getting it...

I made My Own CAI a few months back and at certain engine conditions(warm and idling )It makes a resonant "honking" Noise.As soon as you crack the throttle it goes away....anyone else have this....nice CAI though...Im going to start on a heat sheild sooon Just Like Yours...
(G)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for info Rocket!

Re: silicone adapters, any advanced auto or autozone will carry Spectre brand. They are pretty affordable.

Back