How to do a Ford Ranger solid axle swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to do a Ford Ranger solid axle swap

Beefedxj

Reaction score
City, State
MOnument, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 Cherokee
I am doing a a full width front HP reverse cut Dana 44 conversion. THe axle is out of a F250. We have a full width Dana 60 in the rear. The rear is all in lifted and geared.

I now need to know how to install and fabricate up a longarm conversion for the front 44 axle. I can fabricate and weld anything with access to plasma, SMAW, mig, tig and stick welding. Iwas just wondering how to do this conversion. I have lifted many vehicles including my Cherokee 14 inches with 44's under it. LOcked and all the good stuff. I have never done a solid axle swap. He wants to run 35 under it and get rid of the IFS and keep the coil buckets.

How much lift will I need?

What type of setup will be needed for the coil lift and linkage to the frame with control arms?

Has anyone done this here?

If so email me at nossliw@hotmail.com and help me out . . eh:)

Also where is a good place to buy the parts and DOM tubing with heim joints?

We are just designing it right now and getting ready to fab it up.

I need as much help since i have never done a solid axle swap in a IFS.

Any on you have links to pages of this previously done??????

Your best bet would be to read through the posts in the Explorer/Ranger Solid Axle registry. In there you will find multiple write-ups on solid axle swaps for both explorers and rangers. I'm sure most of this site would appreciate it if you kept us informed of your project in the projects forum. Dont forget pictures ;)

Back