How to drain and refill trans case??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to drain and refill trans case???

badgett

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Airy , North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4
I have a 98 XLT with 5 speed auto tranny. Were is the drain plug for transfer case? Where is refill plug? Do I use ATF fluid? How much fluid does it hold? Please help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ATF fluid yes, see your owner's manual for the right kind, should be mercon or mercon V

amount should be 2 to 3 quarts - amount is specified in owner's manual as well.

i'm guessing that there is a counterweight that you have to take off in order to see the drain plug on the T-case, at least that is how it is on the 1st gens.

I used Mercon III in my 4405 (now 1354). The drain plug is on the driver's side of the t-case, near the shift motor. As FRG mentioned, you may need to remove the dampener weight to get access (although, I don't recall doing that). The fill plug is just below the driveshaft, near the Hall sensor. You'll need to buy two quarts as the case holds about 1.5.

You can find a lot of these answers by searching, and in the case of the drain and fill plugs, simply look under the truck for them.

the drain plug is buried under the metal donut vibration damper, 4 bolts to remove it.

Back