• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

How To: Early Bronco Style Solid Axle Swap

410Fortune

Flood Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
dangit, stop it! I knew all this already, but now its all here looking like a weekend swap and D44 all over CL

TTB FOREVER!!!!! LOL
I am getting sick of this IFS though, holey moley Gen II IFS = PITA, noisy SOB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
im currently doin a SAS on my 92 Ranger, Im usin a 78 fw dana 44. I have removed all the old ttb junk an bolted my radius arm mounts. However iv ran into a problem, Im ready to mount my coil buckets but im not sure how to make the driver side bucket fit because of the bulge in he frame. What should I do? thanks

notch that thing out right around the bulge. It won't be enough to comprmise any strength and you will still be able to put 4 or 5 bolts through the frame.

Try to determine the height you want the bucket before you notch it. On mine I mounted it using F150 buckets and my front end was about 3" lower than I wanted so I relocated the bucket lower (which required notching the bucket again) and got it right the second time.

SuddenDeath

Reaction score
City, State
Mays Landing, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Hey, I hate to revive an older thread but I have a question for Dannyboy or whoever has his SAS setup now. I'm doing almost the exact same setup, using Dannyboy's writeup as a guide. (Awesome Writeup, by the way. This made a SAS for me seem a bit more possible). My question is this. How long is your drag link and how long was your tie rod? Trying to get some measurements so I can build my steering without having to put everything on the truck and THEN build the steering. It's my daily driver so I'd like to just knock it all out in 1 swift install.

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
How long is your drag link and how long was your tie rod? Trying to get some measurements so I can build my steering without having to put everything on the truck and THEN build the steering. It's my daily driver so I'd like to just knock it all out in 1 swift install.
Actually you'll want to get the axle centered and at ride height with all your trac-bar brackets in place and rotors perpendicular to the axle, THEN take all your measurements.
That way you'll know for sure what you need. We could give you measurements but everyone's set-up is slightly different.
Doing an SAS is not a cookie cutter deal like a lift kit is.

Ryder

Reaction score
City, State
La Verkin Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger '02 xlt
Ranger sas

What backspacing did you do on your Jp. Stic-O

explorerNATE

Reaction score
City, State
lincoln nebraska.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 v8 explorer AWD XLT
Nice write up Dannyboy:thumbsup:

One thing to mention about the Early Bronco axle is that it is pretty much the perfect width if you are using the stock rear with spacers.

I went a different route with my EB axle by fabbing my own long arms and added coilovers but for pure simplicity I dont think you could do an SAS on a RBV any simpler than using an EB axle with radius arms.
i know this is a stupid question, and yes i know this was a pretty old comment, however i would like to ask anyways. what is considered to be an early bronco, is a 78 an "early bronco"? or is it wider? because i want an axle close to stock width and i have a chance to buy one off a 78, but i don't know the width.

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
Early Bronco's are pre-78'...they are a narrower axle. 78-79 Broncos are full width (solid front axle). 80 and up Broncos went the the TTB front axle.

ben2go

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate,South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ranger XLT Splash
Dear DannyBoy,

I hope this post finds you in good spirits.I have pondered as to how I would SAS my 2 wheel drive 2001 Ranger.With this write up I have final found a simpler solution to my problem.May what ever god you believe in bless you for years to come.I personally pray to the automotive god that went by the name of Henry Ford.

P.S.

To the forum gods,

I am upset with you, forum gods.I am gone from the forums for a little over a year and in my absence you murder my post count.I shall seek revenge, you petty gods.

Well that's my shatty attempt at forum humor.

Last edited:

countryboy1225

Reaction score
City, State
winter haven, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 5.0
will a 1990 Bronco front axle work on a 1999 sport 4X4?

Last edited:

rickybobby

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Creek, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT

adamsbro2

Bryan
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Clearfield, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
first of all this writeup is AWESOME!!!!! Secondly i am just dying to know where people come by the EB axles?? and for 250-500? i dont really think i wanna go full width but i dont wanna pay someone to cut down the axles either!! And i have seen alot about the james duff coil buckets that will work with EB springs and dual shocks, wont these work with this kind of SAS??

bronchole

Driveway flexing!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Monsterneer
Callsign
KI6MCO
You can try the for sale section over at classicbroncos.com It would be a good find indeed to get a complete one for under $400. Personally I wouldn't pay over $500 for a stock/complete one.

There should also be a local to you Early Bronco club. You can probably find them on ClassicBroncos.com also. That site is the hub of the Early Bronco world, like this one is for Explorers.

Keep in mind that many of the Early Bronco D44 's came with drum brakes. They can all be easily converted to disc, but that also works in to the pricing. There is allot of info over thereat classicbroncos.com on how to convert them to disc brakes.

dersch6221992

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty
going to revive this... i want to start on a SAS next spring. so i am gathering a bunch of info so i can do it all write. This thread was just about amazing!
I have a question though, for the rear it seems like you kept the stock axle, and just geared it the same. My only question is that if i just did an SOA in the back would that be good enough? I saw you mentioned it would be good to switch that out for a dana 60 also.

My truck will see road, but not a whole lot. it will see it mostly on my offdays (have a company car) in the winter time, or when its raining. But mostly will be for offroading.

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
first of all this writeup is AWESOME!!!!! Secondly i am just dying to know where people come by the EB axles?? and for 250-500? i dont really think i wanna go full width but i dont wanna pay someone to cut down the axles either!! And i have seen alot about the james duff coil buckets that will work with EB springs and dual shocks, wont these work with this kind of SAS??
Cut down the full width axle, you end up with better driveline angle, better u joints and disc brakes. It is not hard to do.
If you still want a EB 44 I have one and will be in Boise/mountain home Idaho area sometime before winter if you would want to meet up.

rngrxlt4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Prince Albert, Sk.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Ranger XLT
Great write up! will be using this soon! Might be gettin my hands on a complete D44 from a '77 bronco. just wondering is that considered an EB axle, or is it full width? it has disc brakes too

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
Great write up! will be using this soon! Might be gettin my hands on a complete D44 from a '77 bronco. just wondering is that considered an EB axle, or is it full width? it has disc brakes too
All 66 to 77 Broncos are "early bronco"

Skippy_88Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Ford Ranger
88 Ranger Dana 44 SAS

Okay so I've basically got everything I needed for a SAS in my Ranger. Just looking for a little help with Coil Bucket mounting and axle centring to make the track bar work properly. I'll add some photos to try and help with this post. Axle is a Dana 44 from a F150 so full size swap. Having a little
Trouble with the track bar, not sure wether to buy an adjustable one or use what I have. Also if I need to extend my buckets out from the frame
Or not. I bought duff tuff HD Coil buckets for a bronco because the stick out further for a SAS swap to help keep coils straight. :rangertan:

Attachments

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
where in Washington are you

Skippy_88Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Ford Ranger
88 Ranger SAS

Puget Sound, Port Angeles if you know where that is. Haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Skippy_88Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Ford Ranger
88 Ranger SAS

But I work in Tacoma