How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

Once you pop the glass off you can access the bolts to remove housing. This is how you would access the side marker light / blinker. I did this not long ago and the clips holding the glass can be tricky.
Hmmm! Thanks! With my big paws I had better be careful!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I received my swapped rear overhead dome light back from Brightlites today, it was quick and convenient and the new LED bulb looks awesome!
Hi Brian, So glad you are happy with your newly upgraded LED dome lights.
Explorer-Banner.gif

Puddle lights come out with a small screwdriver or plastic spudger. Just don't force it and you'll be fine.
Here is a video I made showing how to remove the puddle light.

Explorer-Banner.gif

I received my swapped rear overhead dome light back from Brightlites today, it was quick and convenient and the new LED bulb looks awesome!
The rear dome light I got converted by BrightLites has failed. Didn’t even last 90 days. 😡

Sorry if this is a new thread but I couldn't find the previous one anymore where someone had started it and mentioned that they didn't know how to replace the second row bulbs. I just swapped mine tonight!

Here is the DIY
(This is how I did it, which doesn't mean there is no other way. All I needed was 2 screw drivers)

The front dome lights:

With a flat head screw driver pop out the clear plastic gently. It will be a bit reluctant to come out but it will come off all the way without forcing it.

View attachment 252925

I then proceeded with removing the aluminum "foil." It is very thin so be careful not to bend it out of shape too much.
Once it's off you'll have easy access to pull the bulb out.

IMPORTANT! Before putting the LED bulb in, put the foil back in place, otherwise it won't fit over the bulb.

Once the foil is in, inset the bulb and test it. If it doesn't, flip the bulb.

Once they are both in, you can clip the plastic back in and voila!

The rear ones are EASIER!

Under the flip out coat hanger you'll find a screw, see below:
View attachment 252926

Once the screw is out, the assembly will come out:

View attachment 252927

The bulb is located in the side of the housing. To remove it, simply twist the bulb assembly 45 degrees and it pops out:

View attachment 252928

View attachment 252929

put it all back in, and this is the result:

View attachment 252930

View attachment 252931

I also replaced the license plate lights, which is so simple, it's pretty much self explanatory, but if anyone is in doubt, don't hesitate to ask.

View attachment 252932
I replaced every single light (except the bright lights) with LED by the second week I had the vehicle.
I think they are just so cool and less amps being used. The better half wants interior lights for ambiance.

OK Back to the puddle lights...
My vehicle did NOT come with puddle lights so I can't just pop them out (which is very easy).
I need to know how to disassemble the entire mirror so that I know the exact location to drill and to find out if the wiring is already there for the puddle and a turn signal. If the wiring is not there it shouldn't be that much of a PITA to run a couple of wires where the others are run.

Back