How to extract max ATF from dipstick | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to extract max ATF from dipstick

usapadyra

Reaction score
City, State
Ukiah, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ex XLT 4.0 SOHC 2WD
Hey,

Had the transmission (5R55E) serviced last month. Just a regular pan drop. He said he was able to get about 5 quarts out, and that the fluid was in pretty bad condition.

I'd like to replace the old fluid with as much fresh stuff as possible. I don't have the means to drop the pan again myself, so I got one of those little hand pumps to siphon it out through the dipstick and 8 quarts of Mercon V (just in case).

Had a go at it earlier after a long drive, followed by letting the car sit for about an hour, but I was only able to pull about 1 litre before the tube started sucking dry.

Is there any way to get more fluid into the pan so that I can draw it out? I was thinking of starting the car, holding on the brake and moving through the gears a couple of times.

Would this work - is it even safe to do so? I'd be happy if I can get 1 full gallon out before refilling as much. Drive a few hundred miles and then do the same again...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey,

Had the transmission (5R55E) serviced last month. Just a regular pan drop. He said he was able to get about 5 quarts out, and that the fluid was in pretty bad condition.

I'd like to replace the old fluid with as much fresh stuff as possible. I don't have the means to drop the pan again myself, so I got one of those little hand pumps to siphon it out through the dipstick and 8 quarts of Mercon V (just in case).

Had a go at it earlier after a long drive, followed by letting the car sit for about an hour, but I was only able to pull about 1 litre before the tube started sucking dry.

Is there any way to get more fluid into the pan so that I can draw it out? I was thinking of starting the car, holding on the brake and moving through the gears a couple of times.

Would this work - is it even safe to do so? I'd be happy if I can get 1 full gallon out before refilling as much. Drive a few hundred miles and then do the same again...
i do believe letting it sit max fluid will enter the pan and i thik if its on a slight forward incline (ie front of car is lower than back of car) i dont think running it dry will be good for it imo

Well the good news is that currently it is parked slightly nose down.

Attached is how much I got out. Not even 2 quarts to my eye.

Upon thinking about it further, maybe starting it and cycling gears would be the worst thing I could do, as it would pull more fluid back into the converter and other areas...

Well the good news is that currently it is parked slightly nose down.

Attached is how much I got out. Not even 2 quarts to my eye.

Upon thinking about it further, maybe starting it and cycling gears would be the worst thing I could do, as it would pull more fluid back into the converter and other areas...
also itd suck it dry and no attachment. at least i dont see it. wish these had a converter drain like i think the 5.0s do im not 100% on that though

also itd suck it dry and no attachment. at least i dont see it. wish these had a converter drain like i think the 5.0s do im not 100% on that though
4A46CC20-08A9-41CB-AFAE-78C2C14242AA.jpeg

I think the converter drain went away on the 4R70W in 2000.

I think @donalds uses a pump to suck fluid out the dipstick, maybe he has some tips.

I use a different method to change my fluid…some love it, some hate it.

I take a graduated bucket in quarts (mine is 5gal). Pull the hoses off the trans cooler, throw them into the bucket. Start the truck, and let it idle. This is easier with a buddy. Let it pump about 4qts into the bucket, shut her down. As accurately as you can, add the same amount of fluid in the bucket into the trans via the dip stick tube (add new fluid, obviously). Repeat this two more times for a total of 12-14qts. Fluid coming out should be cherry red.

You can do this in smaller chunks (some guys do 2qts at a time). Some brave souls will run the truck until the lines spit air and quickly shut down, closer to 8qts. I like 4.

At the end of the procedure, you should have added back exactly how much you pumped out. Let the truck sit a few hours to get the fluid to drain down the tube, so you can get an accurate measurement on the stick and fine tune from there.

I’ve done this every 30k since my 5R55E was rebuilt 190,000mi ago, and it’s flawless.

Edited for crap memory

I think the converter drain went away on the 4R70W in 2000.

I think @donalds uses a pump to suck fluid out the dipstick, maybe he has some tips.

I use a different method to change my fluid…some love it, some hate it.

I take a graduated bucket in quarts (mine is 5gal). Pull the hoses off the trans cooler, throw them into the bucket. Start the truck, and let it idle. This is easier with a buddy. Let it pump about 4qts into the bucket, shut her down. As accurately as you can, add the same amount of fluid in the bucket into the trans via the dip stick tube (add new fluid, obviously). Repeat this two more times for a total of 12-14qts. Fluid coming out should be cherry red.

You can do this in smaller chunks (some guys do 2qts at a time). Some brave souls will run the truck until the lines spit air and quickly shut down, closer to 8qts. I like 4.

At the end of the procedure, you should have added back exactly how much you pumped out. Let the truck sit a few hours to get the fluid to drain down the tube, so you can get an accurate measurement on the stick and fine tune from there.

I’ve done this every 30k since my 5R55E was rebuilt 190,000mi ago, and it’s flawless.

Edited for crap memory
Huh that's interesting that it isn't the pan where the dipstick leads to, rather the valve body.

If this is definitely the case (can anyone confirm?) I suppose I have a few questions:

- would starting the car and idling for a minute 'refill' the valve body?
- is this safe with the fluid down a couple of quarts?
- am I going to damage anything in the valve body poking the tube down in there? 😂 The tube is soft rubber so I would hope not...

If you are able to get 1 quart out of the dipstick, change that amount 8 times spread out over several days.

If you are able to get 1 quart out of the dipstick, change that amount 8 times spread out over several days.
The only issue with that is the mixing that occurs. It's not a cost effective way to do it as you are pulling out progressively more 'fresh' (mixed) fluid each time. 1 gallon / 4 quarts a go is a happy medium I feel, if done twice with a hundred miles between each time.

Reading around more it seems like I shouldn't have any issues just starting the car and letting it idle for 30 seconds. Figure that would refill the valve body if that is where the dipstick terminates?

Pull a cooler line like mentioned above. I let them run until the flow is weak, and then replace with whatever volume came out. This is the only way to get most of the fluid replaced. Your other option is another pan drop, and a drain plug.

If you got it serviced because it’s acting up, it’s too late to fix it. If that’s the case, just run it to failure.

I think @donalds uses a pump to suck fluid out the dipstick, maybe he has some tips
Just used s 12$ transfer pump from autozone
Most I can get out is a gallon at a time
I repeat every year
I use a inline filter and change it every two years

The only issue with that is the mixing that occurs. It's not a cost effective way to do it as you are pulling out progressively more 'fresh' (mixed) fluid each time. 1 gallon / 4 quarts a go is a happy medium I feel, if done twice with a hundred miles between each time.

Reading around more it seems like I shouldn't have any issues just starting the car and letting it idle for 30 seconds. Figure that would refill the valve body if that is where the dipstick terminates?
Running the transmission will not have the desired result for this project.

I repeat every year
What would you think about putting a tee at the cooler and using an ez oil valve? Seems like a way one person could control the amount of fluid being removed. I started using those valves on my semi trucks so I can drain the oil 1 gallon at a time.

What would you think about putting a tee at the cooler and using an ez oil valve? Seems like a way one person could control the amount of fluid being removed. I started using those valves on my semi trucks so I can drain the oil 1 gallon at a time.
Good idea

I also use the fumoto drain valve

A link for anyone wondering

Good idea

I also use the fumoto drain valve

A link for anyone wondering
Looks identical

Pull a cooler line like mentioned above. I let them run until the flow is weak, and then replace with whatever volume came out. This is the only way to get most of the fluid replaced. Your other option is another pan drop, and a drain plug.

If you got it serviced because it’s acting up, it’s too late to fix it. If that’s the case, just run it to failure.
The service fixed the issue I was having. I'm just trying to optimise at this point.

I repeat every year
Thanks for replying. A gallon is how much I'd like to get out.

Are you pulling it from the dipstick?

Are you able to pump out 1 gallon in one go or do you have to pull some - wait - then pull some more?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back