How to fix headlights with moisture in them | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to fix headlights with moisture in them

Hey guys,

So my drivers side headlight kept getting moisture in it after any rain so I wanted to fix it and figured this would be helpful for others with the same problem!

Let me know what you think!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you'll be back doing that again pretty soon. The factory sealant has failed. I had a similar issue with a fog light. I was going to buy another one, and while futzing around getting the old one off the lens just came off in my hand.

I removed all the old sealant, cleaned the whole thing with Tilex to get rid of the goo, put a bead of silicone (clear, tub stuff) in the groove and set the lens in place with a weight on it to hold it firm. Let it cure overnight. Worked like a champ, and even looked better than the other one.

All of this was for naught as about a week later I hit a deer and got a brand new one as part of the repair.

I think you'll be back doing that again pretty soon. The factory sealant has failed. I had a similar issue with a fog light. I was going to buy another one, and while futzing around getting the old one off the lens just came off in my hand.

I removed all the old sealant, cleaned the whole thing with Tilex to get rid of the goo, put a bead of silicone (clear, tub stuff) in the groove and set the lens in place with a weight on it to hold it firm. Let it cure overnight. Worked like a champ, and even looked better than the other one.

All of this was for naught as about a week later I hit a deer and got a brand new one as part of the repair.

It is still holding up. Why do you think it isnt going to work?

Well I think he is suggesting you're going to hit a deer. :D

It is still holding up. Why do you think it isnt going to work?

The OEM sealant is still there, and it is failing. Even though you went all the way around, the amount of new sealer that is forming the seal is not adequate. The fix you've applied is not all that different than wrapping duct tape around the unit.

I wouldn't recommend hitting a deer, although I got a bunch of new parts out of the deal. Everything forward of the fan is new.

It can be helpful for some people. I wouldn't want to fill my light up with water to find a leak. You can dry it out but most likely going to have water spots on the chrome. Could of just went ahead and
smeared some sealant completely around the seam would of fixed it without actually locating the leak.

The OEM sealant is still there, and it is failing. Even though you went all the way around, the amount of new sealer that is forming the seal is not adequate. The fix you've applied is not all that different than wrapping duct tape around the unit.

I wouldn't recommend hitting a deer, although I got a bunch of new parts out of the deal. Everything forward of the fan is new.

Gotcha. I think it is a little different than wrapping duck tape around it. The sealant will go into the cracks and holes which were identified and plug them up. And I def dont want to hit a deer!

It can be helpful for some people. I wouldn't want to fill my light up with water to find a leak. You can dry it out but most likely going to have water spots on the chrome. Could of just went ahead and
smeared some sealant completely around the seam would of fixed it without actually locating the leak.

The headlight was already soaked inside so there was no harm in filling it up (actually it cleaned the chrome off).

Back