How to fix play in steering wheel? Steering wheel moves a little bit before wheels. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to fix play in steering wheel? Steering wheel moves a little bit before wheels.

reelop19

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
I've searched but I can't seem to hone in on a topic with my issue and solution. I can turn my steering wheel a few degrees before the wheels engage and turn. The explorer drives great otherwise; no wondering on the road, no excessive vibrations, no noises. Drives me nuts sometimes because my other car has really tight steering. Any help?

Was you front end checked out? Inner and outer tie rod ends and all ball joints. If good Then there are universal joints in the steering shaft that can get sloppy.

What's your other car that you're comparing it to?

If the joints are all good I have heard there is a set screw on the power steering rack that tightens/loosens it to adjust play. Too tight would probably lead to binding and increased wear. It adjust how close the gears are to each other.

I do not know our trucks are set up this way, perhaps that is the old way. May be worth investigating if all other avenues are exhausted.

Back