How to fix your buzzing grinding screeching turn signal multifuntion switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to fix your buzzing grinding screeching turn signal multifuntion switch

Mr_Melvinheimer

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer
As a new member I would like to contribute by doing a quick how to write up. I was unable to find one on this issue anywhere. Most forums and professionals will tell you to just replace the whole unit once it starts making noises or even smoking. This solution will not help you if your problem is that one function of the switch is not working, but the others are.

All you have to do is replace the factory grease inside with something that isn't completely worthless. I went through 2 switches before figuring this out. It costs about $1 to fix it rather than the $70-150 to replace it. This should work with any vehicle that is exhibiting the same symptoms and is worth a check on any model with a loud switch.

How to fix your broken, buzzing, grinding, smoking turn signal or multi-function switch.
  • 1st: Remove the panel above the hood latch release. There are two torx screws in my 1996 Explorer.
  • 2nd: Remove both of the panels on the steering column. There are three Phillips screws. I left the lower panel hanging on the steering wheel angle adjustment lever and I was able to remove the switch, but this may not work for you.
  • 3rd: Unbolt the multi-function switch with the two torx screws.
  • 4th: Unplug the two harnesses from it. Be careful not to pull on the wires here as they are tight and can break. This could also be the source of another turn signal error so check them carefully.
  • 5th: Take the multi-function switch apart. It should be a clam shell style body with the lever on one side and the circuits on the other. Mine had 4 or 5 torx screws on it. Once apart be careful to not move anything around or it won't go back together correctly.
  • 6th: Remove all of the nasty burnt brown grease in there with a dry towel.
  • 7th: Put as much new grease on every metal contact point as you can. Make sure to do both sides of the switch. You can use one of the $1 packets of dielectric or silicon grease they have at the counter of most auto part stores.
  • 8th: Put everything back together the same way it came apart.
If you didn't put the switch back together correctly one or more functions will not work as they did before. The turn signal "clicker" found up by the hood latch release is not the culprit if your turn signal is buzzing, grinding or smoking. If something else is wrong like the washer fluid is not spraying, the switch may need to be replaced. After mine was replaced for that reason I had to change it out 2 more times because of the grinding sound. I had an aftermarket one do this to me, but the factory ones will do this too sometimes.

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions. I hope this helps. I don't have any pictures of the process, so I described it in as much detail as I could. It was a fairly easy thing to fix, but diagnosing the problem was really difficult.

Turn signal buzzing and not flashing

Once you have removed the upper cover to the steering column,look to see if there are any loose wires going into the turn signal switch. I found the green/white wires were not making good contact with their terminal block. Once they were pushed completely in the flasher button can be pressed in to make sure both the left and right turn signal arrows in the instrument pod are blinking. These wires come loose from tilting the steering wheel to the complete down position. I used a tie wrap to secure all of the wires together. Test your tilt in the down position and insure the wires are all making good contact. The hazard flasher should work at all positions of the tilt steering column.

Back