How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights

Does anyone know where the stock fog lamp relay is located? I want to put power to it when the parking lamps are on, not just the low beams. I realy don't want to wire up a new one so if anyone knows where this is it would be greatly appriciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hate to bump an old post but I just read through this one and the one for 99+ and I couldn't really get the answer I was looking for.

My X is a 96 XLT, and I have the vvme 6k HID kit, so my question is will this mod still work for me. And can some one put it in lamens terms for an electrically challenged member.

I'm also having a wiring issue with the kit, they came switched High is Low and vice versa, I have tried switching the wires but the issue is still there. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Post # 4 explaines it very well.
This doesnt impact the headlights.
See the pic (2nd pg.) in the sticky thread "Brighter Headlights on gen 1 explorer". It showes where the wires are different for the 9004 & 9007 bulbs.

Just came across this post and got all excited. I always hated the fact that the fog lights only worked on low beam. Took me about 30 minutes and I got it all buttoned up. Excellent find.

Is it the same for an O2 Sport? Fog lights don't work independently as they are.

i did this mod a couple of weeks ago it was very simple i just found the wire comin off the headlamp becuase it was easier than tearing into the wiring harness. it was simple and all the instructions were good.

hi everyone am new around here. just tried this today on my 97 sport, cut thedb/lg wire & connected it to the nrown wire. tried the parking lights all the lights came on! parks fogs AND the lows. did I do something wrong, or not do a part of this?, I want to do this mod but!!!
thanks

Just to clarify what veh. you are doing this on. Profile says 98 Sport. Post says 97 Sport????

If you read and follow the directions I dont see how you can go wrong. Read it all & make some notes.

oooppps sorry, wife was yacking at me too, it is a 1998

I yhink I may have figured out what I did wrong & want to ask before I cut re-resplicing wores again!lol.
after cutting thedb/lg wire I should connect the new wire to the side of this line by the relay to the brown wire and NOT the other side to theparklamp wire?

rcomp,

Can you try to use the "Check Spelling" tool??? I can't figure out what wires your talking about!!

figured out I should just leave it alone
thanks

Did this today and it worked great using the instructions from post 4. The hardest part was getting the lower portion of the airbox out. A little WD40 fixed that.

I've previously changed out the useless stock fog lights with some cheap 55W Pilots from Autozone using the stock bracket. Now I just need to figure out why my driver side headlight is so dim.

I know, I know, way to bump an old thread.. but i cant see starting a new one and cant find the answers.

What if I cut the Dk Blu/Lt green wire and connect the relay end of the wire to the Black and Yellow. Blk/Yell is constant 12V. You could in theory put the lights on even with nothing else on then.

after market fog lamps with all stock wiring

Hey thanks for the info taxx im going to do that tomorrow, but right now i gots a question for you all. this is my first post yay me lol.

But my question is.

Today i bought some Pilot PL-1056 55 watt halogen fog lamps, and the wire they gave me was too short and i didnt have any more of that guage wire to extend. So i just tapped into the stock wires that were already ran, i replaced my stock 55 watt one with the after market, using stock wire. the fuse box pilot gave me was a 15 watt fuse, and the fuse for the stock lamps is also 15. I was wondering if this is safe only using my stock wiring, Considering im not runnning 100 watt bulbs just 55 like the stock and 15 amp current like the stock...

could someone let me know if this is safe? i already did the install and it looks real good and the wires are all covered in sleaves and water tight.

Thanks guys.

Did this today and it worked great using the instructions from post 4. The hardest part was getting the lower portion of the airbox out. A little WD40 fixed that.

I've previously changed out the useless stock fog lights with some cheap 55W Pilots from Autozone using the stock bracket. Now I just need to figure out why my driver side headlight is so dim.

did u wire them using all stock wires?

If you bulbs are both the same wattage as the original, then you don't need a larger fuse or heavier gauge wire. Most of the fog lights I have seen built in are 45 watt. The 02 Sport has 45watt bulbs. 55 watt draws nearly 1 amp more x 2 for the 2 bulbs.

If you bulbs are both the same wattage as the original, then you don't need a larger fuse or heavier gauge wire. Most of the fog lights I have seen built in are 45 watt. The 02 Sport has 45watt bulbs. 55 watt draws nearly 1 amp more x 2 for the 2 bulbs.

oh their 45 watt? well wires to the lights im using and the stock wires are really close in guage they might be one off.

think ill be ok? lol

i just dont want a short or fire lol

considerin my fuse is 15 like the aftermarket i hope the fise would pop before something would happen

im not sure what this is about ... isnt there a button to control your fog lights? but anyways i have a 97 xlt im about to do this bc i have four sets wire to my stock fogs

You can connect the wire from the relay to many sources.
1. Brown wire from parking lights.=Fogs on w/pkng ligts.
2. W/S wiper motor wire.= Fogs on w/key.
3. Battery.=Fogs on all the time.

Seven years later... Sorry.

I read all of Phaseone's posts and I'm trying to do the exact same thing. I've decided I want to run a wire directly to the battery so do I cut the wire leading to spot #87 on the fog light fuse and connect that directly to the battery? What do I do with the previous relay wire running from the battery to spot #30?

Do I then use just an inline 20-25A fuse on the new wire?

Accomplished! :)

Hey guys,

I just did this mod, and it works 100%!! It was easy to find the Blue wire with Green stripe, and I ran a little red 16 Gauge Wire from the Relay wire to the Parking Light wire (It was brown). I may even post a video up on how to do it!

Back