How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights

Does anyone know where the stock fog lamp relay is located? I want to put power to it when the parking lamps are on, not just the low beams. I realy don't want to wire up a new one so if anyone knows where this is it would be greatly appriciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Help with using the factory wiring.

I am attempting to use the wiring that by factory plugs into the bulb. I will be adding a fused link, and this is only a tempory convience until i can get all the supplies to hook them up through the relays. I
was thinking of a 10amp fuse , anyone know the colors and amp rating of the wires i need to use. I also wont be using the factory bulbs until ive rewired to relay..

This is on my '01 XLT X
Any help 911 trouble seeing. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm under the front end splicing into the harness..
Having one of those moments,
Black to ground..
Red to ??..??
I'd like to be able to use dash on/off,
Off while on high beams..

Duh.. Right?

That worked great. LOVE IT!!!

I wasn't quite sure what the Abbreivations were for the wire colors; but figured it out DB=Dark Blue; LG=Light Green; and That was all I needed!

I also disabled the DRL'S (Canada) by simply unplugging the harness from the DRL modual (located behind front bumper on the drivers side; oval plug plugs in at the bottom, pointing towards the road).

Also the bottom part of the Air Box is a biotch to take off! Ended up breaking the plastic mounts as I was pulling it out....but just threw in some JB weld when putting it back in.....WORKED GREAT!

Again....thanks for this awsome post!

Now if only they made diamond clear fog lights for the 95-98 ford explorers to make this mod look even better.

Did this mod today. Took about 40 minutes to do this five minute mod. Located the blu/grn wire and decided to check it first. Cut on the headlights and checked for power then cut off the fogs, checked the power, and the wire was still hot. Dumb a$$ me, not realizing the wire will stay hot so long as the headlights were on. Wasted 30 minutes checking and re-checking. DUH! That's what this mod is about, to bring power from another source. Got to remember what KISS stands for.

Will this mod work on a 00' Expedition? If not any guesses?

happy.gif

OK, I did some looking into the actual subject matter for this thread... the typical TJ style modification to running the fog lights and the high beams together.

What I get from the FSM is that this isn't going to happen on the JK. Here is the description of the fog lights from the FSM:

FRONT FOG LAMPS
The front fog lamps have a path to ground at all times through their connection to the engine compartment wire harness. The engine compartment wire harness has takeouts with eyelet terminals that are secured by nuts to ground studs on the front end sheet metal within the engine compartment. The Steering Control Module (SCM) monitors a hard wired multiplex input from the left multi-function switch to determine whether the fog lamps are selected, then sends an electronic front fog lamp switch status message to the EMIC over the Local Interface Network (LIN) data bus and the EMIC relays an electronic front fog lamp request message to the TIPM over the CAN data bus.

When the TIPM receives a front fog lamp request message it then controls front fog lamp operation by controlling a battery voltage output through high side drivers on right and left fog lamp feed circuits. The TIPM also sends the appropriate electronic message back to the EMIC to illuminate or extinguish the front fog lamp indicator. In certain markets where required, the TIPM will automatically de-energize the front fog lamps any time the headlamp high beams are selected.

The TIPM also provides a battery saver (load shedding) feature for the front fog lamps, which will turn these lamps OFF if they are left ON for more than about eight minutes with the ignition switch in the LOCK position, if there is a charging system failure, or if the electrical system voltage falls below about 11.75 volts for more than about 30 seconds. The TIPM will return the front fog lamps to normal operation when it detects that system voltage is greater than 13.0 volts for more than about 30 seconds.

Each front fog lamp includes an integral adjustment screw to be used for static aiming of the fog lamp beams.

There is not longer a separate relay that controls the fog lights so you cannot modify it anymore.

Did this mod today. Took about 40 minutes to do this five minute mod. Located the blu/grn wire and decided to check it first. Cut on the headlights and checked for power then cut off the fogs, checked the power, and the wire was still hot. Dumb a$$ me, not realizing the wire will stay hot so long as the headlights were on. Wasted 30 minutes checking and re-checking. DUH! That's what this mod is about, to bring power from another source. Got to remember what KISS stands for.

Def want to FINALLY do this mod this weekend and it was pretty simple for the most part?

Got it all figured out. Hardest part was just getting the airbox out. Good mod and glad it's done with.

I bought my aftermarket fog lights for my 01 explorer from Xtralights online and they also sold me a set of wire relay to force both fog lights and high beam lights to come on together, you may want to contact them...

LFEPOR02COEMAPC.jpg

Did anyone ever figure this out on the first gen explorers?? I have a 1993 Explorer 4 Dr Limited. I read through all the pages and saw one other person ask about a 93 but nobody mentioned it in any of the posts.

and a bump for success :thumbsup:

1996 fog light wiring mod. Cut Dark Blue with Light Green ribbon wire. Splice into White with Black ribbon wire. Run short jumper from the splice to the Dark Blue with Light Green ribbon wire that goes into the relay box.

Easier for me since all I had to remove was the end of my K&N FIPK intake for access...

index.php

’97 Fog Light Mod #3

I did the Fog Light Mod on my ’97 today, but I didn’t use Mod #1 or #2. As we all know, the stock arrangement provides a “hot” fog lamp relay only when the dash light switch is set to “headlamps” AND the column multifunction switch is set to “low beam.” The object of this mod is to provide a “hot” fog lamp relay under other settings. Mod #1 taps into the parking lamp circuit and will work whenever the parking lamp circuit is “hot.” Mod # 2 taps into the radio circuit and will work whenever the ignition switch is set to “Acc” or “Run”. But Mod #2requires running a wire between the fog lamp relay and the radio.

There is a closer solution. The box holding the fog lamp relay also holds the windshield washer pump relay. The windshield washer pump relay is “hot” when the ignition key is in the “Acc” or “Run” and the circuit is fused at 10 amps. It is fed by the White with Black ribbon wire. I used the following components:

- (1) quick splice
- (2) male bullet connectors
- (2) female bullet connectors
- 4” of 16 ga. wire

I took the air cleaner and housing out. I took the relay box off and removed the top and bottom covers to aid in tracing the correct wires. On my ’97, the only two wires of concern are:

- Dark Blue with Light Green ribbon (this feeds the fog lamp relay)
- White with Black ribbon (this feeds the windshield washer pump relay.

I simply tapped into the “White/Black” feed to the windshield washer pump relay with a 4” length of wire using a ‘Quick Splice”. I crimped a male bullet connector onto the free end of the spliced wire. I cut the Dark Blue/Light Green feed. On the end going INTO the relay, I installed a female bullet connector and plugged the spliced wire in. Viola! The fogs work whenever the ignition switch is set to “Acc” or “Run.” I finally crimped a male bullet connector onto the end of the Dark Blue/Light Green wire coming out of the wiring harness and joined it to a female connector to provide insulation. (If for some reason I need to return to stock condition, I can unplug the spliced wire and re-plug the Dark Blue/Light Green wire.)

Here is a pic of what I of the mod.

Okay yesterday afternoon I did this mod to my 97 XLT with stock fogs it just used to make and female bullet terminals.
1 to the dead end of the LB/G wire and 1 for the spliced LB/G + W/BS to the W/BS wire for the washer pump relay which is fused already, negating the use of an inline fuse in or out of the relay box. Removal was a breeze with the cone filter box. Took longer debating what to do til I read the best way to do by PghBill. Gonna try attaching a pic so here goes 1st try.

View attachment 330138

Followed the same method as @PghBill. Not a whole lot of pictures in here so figured I'd add my own. Really easy to get to without removing hardly anything. I followed the directions but in hindsight a jumper wire isn't necessary, just plug the cut end into the T and you're good.

I also wired in led fogs into the factory harness. (Picture with them off was to large to attach, so y'all get the one with them on lol)

MVIMG_20210511_171628.jpg

MVIMG_20210511_170955.jpg

MVIMG_20210511_170733.jpg

MVIMG_20210511_161022.jpg

Back