How To Get a 60/40 Coolant Mixture | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To Get a 60/40 Coolant Mixture

Reaction score
City, State
North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport 90k, 94 Xlt 157k
Hi Everyone, I'm going to replace the coolant on my explorer because i have to drain it to replace my waterpump, and my question is how to get a 60/40 coolant mixture when it takes 8.60 quarts of coolant. I have bought a gallon of 50/50, two gallons of full strength coolant, and two gallons of distilled water. I know altogether it should take alittle over 2 1/2 gallons of coolant, but i bought all of the stuff so i could make sure to get a proper mixture thanks guys :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer itself doesn't care about the mixture ratio (to an extent).

You want the coolant in there (not just water) because it helps keep it from freezing AND it lubricates the waterpump seal.

50/50 is more than enough concentration for most places in the US (good to -20 to -30 for the glycol coolants. If your in one of those inhospitable places where people shouldn't live :) that gets to -60F etc then you may need a higher concetration.

Also, Coolant transfers heat less efficiently than water alone so thats another reason not to run too much of a coolant/water ratio.

If you really want a 60/40 mix you can play with a 3rd bottle. Fill it 60% up with 100% coolant and 40% with water. Then keep the 50/50 stuff to top off if it ever gets a little low.

~Mark

50/50 is fine. I use 50/50 & then a little more water & water wetter because I live in a hot climate all year. I never see anything below 40.

As a near neighbor, go with 50/50, you can do a little extra. Bottom line, if it gets that cold, you should be using a block heater anyway, because at that point, it's more about keeping your oil fluid.

I run full mobile one synthetic. If it gets down below -30, I plug in the block heaters. It has served me well. My job starts at 5AM, and I remote start easily, and crawl into a warm truck.

Oh, I added seat heaters... They are not expensive or hard to install.

Back