How to get better Gas Mileage? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to get better Gas Mileage?

Good luck, my pig seems to run around 15mpg most of the time...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The government has many studies that show proper tire pressure will solve the worlds' energy problem. So much so that we now pay for TPMS. Thank god.

Now I don't have to check my tire pressure manually anymore. $400 for a set of TPMS senors is a small price to pay for saving the planet.

Oh wait...
When I had TPMS sensors put on my Winter wheels on the Limited they were $56.60 each for a total of $226.40 and that was through the dealer. I guess for an '06 Explorer they were probably still the 'band' type of sensors.

Peter

When I had TPMS sensors put on my Winter wheels on the Limited they were $56.60 each for a total of $226.40 and that was through the dealer. I guess for an '06 Explorer they were probably still the 'band' type of sensors.

The price of the sensors is coming down, finally. And yes, mine has the bands.

There is not much that is really going to get you much better mileage or save you much money....in the real world of driving, unless you make a different vehicle choice. Do all the following and you might gain 2-3 mpg overall, possibly a little more at constant highway driving. Hardly worth the effort, time or money.
1. Reduce your speed when possible.
2. Burn only non alcohol gas.
3. Use full synthetic oil
4. Raise you tire pressure at least 5 lbs.
5. Reduce as much unnecessary weight in the vehicle as possible.
best regards Plum

best regards Plum[/QUOTE]I'm trying my best but my diet doesn't seem to be working.;)

Peter

Thanks for the giggle Peter! As I'm drinking my protein shake.

I found a difference of gasoline made a huge difference even with my hubby's lead foot. His Ecoboost F-150 prefers SAMs Club gasoline for 22plus mpg.

My Limited V6 FWD loves Texaco to average 22-24 mpg in rush hour 32 miles one way. With some parts where I have a heavy foot. But when driving I'm looking immediate and the next mile ahead. I coast when I can and try to never allow gas tank below 1/4 to half full.

My 13 V6 Mustang ... Has earned 29 mpg and 16 ... No explanation why other than top down and tunes up.

Push it...lol

i average 9km/l or 21mpg - everyday commute 50/50 city-hway (normal driving, gentle on gas pedal)
i have michelin 245/60- r18 with tire pressure of 35psi
will increase it to 38 and will see the difference.

believe me, my wife drives like a grandmother. we are getting about 19-20 MPG combined, although she drives more highway than anything. I believe it should be higher.

like I said, she is very gentle with the pedal, and uses the adaptive cruise control a lot.

That's all you are going to get, big boy. If you want something better, get a Prius. Be glad you aren't driving the previous generation. My average on 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2010 Explorers was 16 combined. And that was driving gently.

Remember, you are basically pushing a big box through the air, and it takes some fuel to move it.

There is not much that is really going to get you much better mileage or save you much money....in the real world of driving, unless you make a different vehicle choice. Do all the following and you might gain 2-3 mpg overall, possibly a little more at constant highway driving. Hardly worth the effort, time or money.
1. Reduce your speed when possible.
2. Burn only non alcohol gas.
3. Use full synthetic oil
4. Raise you tire pressure at least 5 lbs.
best regards Plum

I can almost guarantee you that doing this isn't going to get you 3 mpg. 1, maybe 2, if you are lucky. Driving 45 mph as a max speed might do it for you.

At 6,000 miles I am averaging 19.1 mpg. On the highway I can get a shade under 25, usually around 24.8, and strictly in-town driving I get 17 - 18. This is much better than my previous generation Explorers where the best I could get on the highway was 20, and my overall average was a little under 16. So, I actually feel that the EX does pretty good. It is comparable to my Murano, which is slightly smaller and has a CVT. So, I am not complaining at all.

find an 18 wheeler truck and draft it. get about 5 feet from the back of it and stay there. :)

I can muster 25-26 mpgs out of my Sport at 65mph pretty easily.

I can muster 25-26 mpgs out of my Sport at 65mph pretty easily.

Is that over an extended period, round trip, or just what the instantaneous fuel economy bar blips up to? Seems exceptionally high for a highway trip average.

That is with a specific custom tune I made for fuel economy, highway only. I made a trip from Florida to Tennessee with this tune and resetting the fuel economy gauge and just cruising along. Playing with the o2 bias at highway speed, low load and low pedal input you can get a bit more out of the Sport than you would think. If I factor a slight mix of stop and go and such, the average would be closer to 23-24 mpg.

Ah, now this makes sense now. I should've looked more closely at your sig and realized you probably had a tune. How does your highway tune affect throttle response - do you have to keep off the higher RPMs or is there much of a delay?

It really doesnt affect anything as far as drive ability or response goes. Basically playing with the o2 bias can help command a slightly leaner mixture while driving at highway speeds. This is a low load (low throttle) only situation. The map is set up in such a way that when you do roll on the throttle you are in normal mapping and normal power. So in this way I can stay lightly on the throttle, keeping under 65 and keeping the engine load low, I can run slightly leaner and get better gas mileage. But when I want to go, everything is normal, well not normal, FAST :)

I only have a little over 700 miles on my 2014 XLT with the 3.5L Flex Fuel engine. We only have access to straight 89 or 93 octane gasoline and no ethanol or mixed. The highest MPG I have seen on the reading to the left of the dashboard is 12.4. The 1st tank of gas it was 11.5, the 2nd tank 11.9.

This is all city driving with no highways as the speed limit here is max 50 on long stretches of road out of town. Town limits are 25-30.

It looks like the mileage is improving with each tank of gas and as the engine gets broken in. Doubtful that I will make it to the 17mpg city that is advertised on the window sticker!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to figure out how to get better gas mileage

So my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT NOT flex fuel or anything, says it gets up to 24 mpg (I know I will not get that) but right now I'm pushing now at 20.5 (had it at 21.1 about 3 months ago). I will really hoping to get to about 22 mpg. I do a lot of highway so I wondering what you guys do to get better gas mileage, if you do get good gas mileage. I don't burn rubber, I don't peel out when I have to accelerate. I've always used Arco gas.

So what is your range of mpg??

Back