How to get power that the battery saver can turn off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to get power that the battery saver can turn off

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
So I'm trying to add more electronic accessories to my car but I don't know what I can tap into that could power a relay to turn on my extra fuse box only when the battery saver feature has not turned it off. As in, the power will stay on even if the key is out of the ignition but will be turned off if the battery saver feature kicks in.

Does anyone know if the fusebox under the driver side dash is on only when the car is on or is it on all the time?

Also, any good locations where I can tap into reliably for at most 20 amps of power or is it recommended I go all the way to the battery for that?
I saw there are good places to fish wire through the firewall in the forum but I'm not sure how big of a wire I can fish through and whether or not I can just ground on some metal piece of the car or do I have to fish a ground wire through too. I have 10 gauge automotive hook up wire, and I'm wondering if that's enough to power 20 amps all the way to the back of the car or should I go bigger?

I'm just going to power an Arduino, some touchscreens, some LED strips (making my own ambient lighting), power for my dash cam, and other peripherals I might add on later.

I am kind of OCD so I don't want to drill anything or mess with any OEM wires. That's why I am trying to add an aftermarket fusebox so I can just add things when I want to.

If anyone has any good suggestions, wiring diagrams, and/or tutorials, that'd be awesome!

Thank you.

Back