How to get rear shaft out of AWD t-case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to get rear shaft out of AWD t-case?

MalcolmV8

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Tundra DC
I'm trying to get my 98 AWD t-case apart so I can knock out the plug by the rear output shaft and install a VSS and speedometer cable. That is providing there is a speedo drive gear on it.

Anyhow I got this far. I have the cover apart, got the rear flange off but can't get the shaft out. It looks like there's a retaining clip on the inside of the cover but it's way down in there and I can't figure it out. Anyone know how to get this shaft out?

3.jpg

Thanks
Malcolm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Figures. Right after I make the post I figure out how to get the split pin apart and the shaft slides out. There is no speedo worm gear on there. Are the 97 and 98 output shafts the same? Can I just add the speedo drive gear on there?

Oh and I was wrong about the case casting. That's not just a plug. It's part of the casting. See this pic.

Anyone got a 97 AWD rear case cover to sell me?

1.jpg

Thanks
Malcolm

MalcolmV8 said:
Anyone got a 97 AWD rear case cover to sell me?
Check with V8BoatBuilder or Section525. V8BoatBuilder has some t-cases for sale and Section usually has some kind of t-case at his house. :p Good luck. :)

Malcolm,

I'd love to see some photos of the inside of the 4404, especially the viscous coupler. While I'm no longer running the case, I'm curious as to how it works. We also get lots of questions about the 4404 on here, and photos would do a good job of explaining functionality.

Well I have these three. Not sure if they help you any or not.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I can take more if there are specifics you're looking for. Just let me know.

Those are great. There's been some debate around here as to whether the case maintains a solid connection to the rear output shaft, yet when a truck's front driveshaft is removed, the trucks don't hold park.

The planetary setup means there is no direct conection to the rear shaft.

Right it looks like the rear output shaft (which goes through the planetary gears) is on the back of the viscous clutch. I spoke to a Ford tech (via email) and he said the viscous clutch allows power to split 35/65 (front / rear) and when there is any slippage the fluid in the clutch heats up rapidly and the output changes to 50/50.

I see plenty of posts about people who remove the front drive shaft and then their vehicle slowly creeps downhill while just sitting in park unless they set the parking brake. That combined with what I see inside the case leads me to believe that the rear is not a solid ridged connection.

MalcolmV8 said:
Right it looks like the rear output shaft (which goes through the planetary gears) is on the back of the viscous clutch. I spoke to a Ford tech (via email) and he said the viscous clutch allows power to split 35/65 (front / rear) and when there is any slippage the fluid in the clutch heats up rapidly and the output changes to 50/50.

I see plenty of posts about people who remove the front drive shaft and then their vehicle slowly creeps downhill while just sitting in park unless they set the parking brake. That combined with what I see inside the case leads me to believe that the rear is not a solid ridged connection.

It obviously can't be a solid connection.... if it was, the driveline would bind at every corner, hence the need for the viscous coupling.

Thanks a ton for the pictures..... now, if anyone has a control-trac t-case they are willing to donate for preservation in the archives, I'd be happy to dismantle it and take a ton of pics of the guts.....

-Joe

Back