How To: Hidden Winch On A 2nd Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Hidden Winch On A 2nd Gen

So its finally done :D and after testing I'd like to share it with everyone.

These are the things you will need;

A 3" body lift (or you can make a custom way to drop the "cradle" by 3")

A piece of steel (I would go with 3/8 if its a plate) or a piece with an edge like what I used. (see pics) it needs to be a minimum of 31 1/4" inches long and a max of about 7" wide. (check before you buy, you winch may need a wire/narrower piece then mine did.)

Two more small strips of 1/4 or preferably 3/8 thick, 2 inches wide, and the same length as your cradle is wide.
(Ex: my cradle is 32" x 6" so then I need two small pieces 2x6)

Six Grade 8 or above (I used grade 9) nut and bolts. they need to be a minimum of 5" long. (if your doing it the way I did. if your making a spacer your going to need 8" bolts) I would strongly recommend upgrading all the hardware your using to at least grade 8

About 10-15 feet of wire (the same gauge as the power wires on your winch) this is for re-routing the power box on the winch) also some 16G speaker wire if you want to move the control plug-in into your dash. (pictures later)

A HIGH QUALITY 1/2 steel drill bit. (for drilling the plates and frame)

Electrical tape/Heat shrink

2 1Ft pieces of Transmission cooler hose, 4 ring clamps, and 2 airline butt connectors. (for moving the tranny cooler up a bit)

that should be all you need, other small thing you should have laying around. (IE zip ties and such)

First your going to want to take off the control box for your winch. MAKE SURE to take a picture or mark/number were all the wires go. you can severely damage your winch if you don't put it back right.

next take off your front bumper ( by the 4 bolts that hold it to the frame on the back. (19or21MM i believe)

Next unscrew your tranny cooler and let it hang to the floor. (one on top and 2 on bottom)

Next get your cradle and put it just in front of the rad, under the frame, and make sure each side is even. Secure it with C-Clamps for now.

and place your winch on top to make sure everything lines up nice and fits good.

You may have a problem with the free-spooling knob hitting the part of the body just in front of the rad, but i have a solution for this later on.

next just make sure you have the winch centered on the plate. ( for obvious reasons :p)

next you want to drill 3 holes on each side of the cradle, evenly spaced, up through the frame and through the piece of plate. (see the picture for clarification) I messed up on mine and as you can see they are a small angle. no biggie.

The reason im using the two small plates on top is to spread the pressure on the frame out. otherwise I was thinking that it may pull the bolts through the frame.

It should now look similar to this.

Next, mount the winch to the plate (this is easier if you take the cradle off the truck)

Before you put everything back on. you going to want to extend your Transmission cooler lines. then route the hoses just beside the rad (on left) and behind the cradle. I don't have any pictures of this, but you should be able to figure it out. Just make sure there are no kinks. (this was only a temp fix for me, in the future i am planning of getting ride of all the metal lines and putting rubber ones in.

On my winch, the free spooling knob was hitting the frame so i took it out, heated it up with a propane torch, and bent it as far as i could before it would hit the winch. just make sure not to damage the end that goes into the winch.

After mounting everything back on, its time to do the wiring. (hope you remembered were they went ^_^)

I put the control box were the air filter box is (i have a K&N so its not there anymore) and just extend the wires. be sure to cover as much as you can with heat shrink, electrical tape, rubber covers. (i did all three :p)
Next, hook up the + and - to the batt and put your bumper on.

before you test it, double check everything.

All bolts tightened?
All wires in their proper spot and protected?
Is your tranny cooler hooked up snugly?

and check it again :p

now your done :) go have some fun!

Later i will be adding on how to move the remotes plug in, into the inside of the truck. as well as how to properly move the tranny cooler. mind my spelling

Enjoy. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the plastic bumper on mine, will the winch cable rip the bumper off if I did this? awesome write up though, just what I'm looking to do eventually

Si

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I LOVE this mod looks like i got a new project for the summer...Great job...:salute:

honestly couldn't tell you for sure, just from looking at it, the cable may fit through the slits in the bottom.

and thx :)

Just need to get a fairlead mounted somewhere in there and you'll be golden. Looks great man!

Yeah, roller fairlead. Keeps the line from chafing against stuff when going into the spool, and helps keep it straight to a lesser degree.

that should do the trick then n stop my front bumper from getting ripped off.... hopefully..

Si

Well, don't connect the winch to your bumper or you'll rip it off for sure, lol. The fairlead should keep the line straight until it clears the bumper though, so if you are pulling from way off to the side (not a good idea anyways) the line won't contact the bumper and damage it. However the fairlead can't be attached to the bumper either, obviously.

i was thinking of adding a fair-lead to the front, i just don't have one right now, it wouldn't be hard to add to this either.

Vote for sticky? :D

I was gonna hide it behind the plastic bumper, but didn't want the fairlead showing.

Si

good job.
instead end of of bending the free spool knob, you could have turned that end of the winch forward/down and made it easier to get to. at least you can with the warns, but iirc you have to move it two bolt positions(?something about the planetary gears?) i almost did this before i got my winch bumper. a hawse fairlead should fit back in there, or since you already have the body lift brackets, just add some spacers to stick the bumper out a little for a roller
:thumbsup:

yes, i have heard that you can do that, although i looked on the side and didn't see were it would come apart, so i just left it alone, i don't know whats inside it to mess up either.

Back