How to: Hood Pins; 1st Gen

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I got really tired of having to have someone with me to open my hood. Looked for variations of ways, was afraid to mess with hood release in fear it would make it worse so hood pins; now only my self is needed to open the hood.

Tools I Used:
Chalk
Tape
Drill Bit (each hood pin kit is a different size, so what I can tell you, is slightly larger then pin stud)
Phillips Screwdriver
Drill
Locktite for Threads
Black Paint (will vary depending on the color of your hood)
Measuring tape

First is to determine the best place to put them. I decided to remove hood support and put them there (will put hood support else where).

To do this I had to remove the battery. This will give you tons more access to the hood support on passenger side and to tighten bottom nut of the hood pin.

Next step was to eliminate the hood latch since it will no longer be being used.
In place
2011-08-30165350.jpg

And now gone.
2011-08-30165958.jpg

With that gone I removed the cable and release from under the dash. There are a few ways to do it, I did it by snipping the cord at the fire wall and then removal on inside.

(Im only gonna show the picture of one side, but do it to both!)

Next is to remove the hood support, dont break em, just remove em.
In place
2011-08-30171712.jpg

Remember not to break em or lose, the way I did it I reused them in a different location.
2011-08-30171723.jpg

Next it to take tape, masking tape or similar. Take it to the furthest edge of the hole all the way to the outside of the fender.
Tape
2011-08-30171843.jpg

Measure from center of hole where your going to put hood pint to the inside of the fender. Write the measurement down so you dont lose it. In a perfect world both sides are the same, in my case they were different so dont mix measurements. MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE; unless you have a spare hood laying around you dont want to screw up!

With hood closed you can measure from inside of fender to place on hood and use chalk to mark the hole. this is what the tape is for to make sure you lined up with the tape.
2011-08-30172218.jpg

Next is to drill a starter hole on the line. once you have a starter hole. Use your bit that is slightly bigger then the hood pin
2011-08-30172353.jpg

This is a good time now that you have both holes drilled, to spray a little paint on the drill marks so you dont get rust. Once your don if you measured right, put the hood down. Adjust the hood pins (by turnin the top nut to the height of the hood pin you want showing above the hood)
2011-08-30174339.jpg

Once you have them adjusted you can put on the decoration plate and line holder. This is simple, while hood is down lay the plate around the Hood Pin, screw in your three screws, with the last one loop your line and screw down. This line attaches to the pint its self.
2011-08-30175722.jpg

Now that you have the hood pin adjusted to show threw the hood as much as you want. Time to raise the hood and put on bottom nuts. This is tricky! It took me and a friend to do this. I added washers (my kit didnt come with them), also this is a good place to use locktite on the treads since it will vibrate. Now that the nuts on top and bottom are all secured and lock tite. This is what it should look like.
2011-08-30185715.jpg

Ok one last thing. what about the hood support we sat to the side? Well here is what I did with it. The very front bolt the is in the fender with the washer/nut all in one. I took the bolt out, saved it so if i ever need it.... Put the hood support, adjust as need. Put a nut on the bottom (yes even though you used the nut/washer/fastener thing) of the hood support.
It will look like this.
2011-08-30191703.jpg

Now you can enjoy a one person easier to open hood!

EDIT.... ok I just noticed I left something out... yes I have two nuts on the above half.. YOU DONT HAVE TO DO THAT... i did that for extra hood support. Im having a washer welded to the top nut so i still have strong hood support. I needed three nuts per hood pin, kits only come with 2 per kit and no washers at all...

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great How-to. I'm sure there are tons of members on here that will look at it and want to do the same.

I got really tired of having to have someone with me to open my hood. Looked for variations of ways, was afraid to mess with hood release in fear it would make it worse so hood pins; now only my self is needed to open the hood.

Ok, what am I missing? Why do you need someone with you to open the hood when you had the factory hood latch? I open the hood on our X all by msyelf..

I do like how you did it though.. especially that you re-used the hood supports.

~Mark

Instead of moving the hood bumpers, get rid of them. Cut a piece of heater hose to the right length and slide it over the hood pin. The hose will now be your "hood bumper", cheap and easy to replace if it wears out.

Manik, for some reason my hood has been getting harder and harder to open one person. One person would have to stand inside pulling and keep pulling the hood release while someone else would jiggle the hood to it would pop. Nothing was ever messed with, not the hood latch nor the arms in the back. all bolts were tight.. something just wasnt right... so I eliminated the problem so my short arse is by myself and can get it open.

I will probably more then likely add a 3rd one that locks. Im not in a bad area and have only ever had one person mess under my hood, but better safe then sorry...

I cant take full credit, lol.. if it wasnt for Xeek I wouldnt have done the write up I would have just done it and took an after pic... lol he pulled my arm and made me write it up! :p:

^ lol :D
i dont remember seeing anything on hood pins so i pressed him to make one.

good job. i plan on doing it myself one of these days. my latch is so screwed up.
i may try the hose idea, i have spare 3/8ths hose in the garage, if the pins are smaller then that of course, i dunno.

I thought about the hose thing, but i dont want the weight of the hood to solely be on top of the hood pins, just not sure if over time it would wear the metal your hood pins are bolted into. that is why i left the bump stops.

I thought about the hose thing, but i dont want the weight of the hood to solely be on top of the hood pins, just not sure if over time it would wear the metal your hood pins are bolted into. that is why i left the bump stops.

10 years now, and no signs of wear. ;)

10 years now, and no signs of wear. ;)

You have pics? Yeah itll save money in long run cause you can buy hose from Lowes for like 45 cents a foot... and 2 ft would last years even if the hose wears.. but you have pics of your set up? itll show a few different methods to pple

The latch on mine wasn't holding because a metal piece in the hood broke.
the hood bounced up and down with only the second safety latch keeping it from flying up into the windshield. Couldn't get the factory latch working right, so I decided on hood pins.
I left the old latch in place, the old bump stops too,
and found flat spots near the hood bumpers on the bracket to drill & mount the pins.
With the pins mounted, closing the hood on them (with a little force :hammer:)
marked the right spots to drill the inner, then the outer sheet metal of the hood
Works well, but the disks are rusting already.

Back