How To: Install Camshaft & Rocker Arms | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Install Camshaft & Rocker Arms

notice any loss on low end off idle torque? i had an Ecam in my stang back in the day, but it came with a blown motor and i have nothing to use from memory as a reference... in other words, i have no way of knowing if it made the same power off idle as the stocker did, or better, or worse etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice to hear Section, you're getting me motivated to do mine. Any Video yet ?

looks good the only thing i can think of is getting rid of that orange turd fram on there. especially breaking in a new engine i found that by using a motocraft filter i gained 15pounds of oil pressure, ever look inside the filter there are about 1/2 as many holes in there for flow as there is with any decent filter plus it uses cardboard end caps.

Checkout www.bobistheoilguy.com

Actually, Asp84 insisted that I put a Motorcraft filter in there. I had no problems with that and thats whats in there now. :D

Have yet to take this thing on the freeway yet. Maybe tomorrow. Gonna order some header gaskets and bolts right now.

[update]
Freeway on-ramps are awesome! :eek: It passed smog with flying colors. I've been driving it around the last hour and a half getting on the freeway, getting off the freeway, city streets, stop lights, etc trying to get this cam broke in so I don't have to drive the automatic with one foot on the brake and one on the gas. It seems to be idling a lot better now.

It really loves the 3,000 to 4,000 rpm range. However, even down low it is comparable to my truck when it was stock (before the 32" meats).

Can't tell you yet what it's done to the gas mileage. I'm just putting a little in at a time since it just sits all the time. But I'll probably get it on the open road here shortly once I'm comfortable leaving my neighborhood with it. :cool:

Bolts and gaskets still haven't showed up yet! ^%#@$
[/update]

E303 prices

Where did you get such good prices?

I just got a 97 5.0 Explorer with a bad lifter, so I'm looking at doing the whole cam/valve train replacement.

Thanks,

E-303 Camshaft FMS-M6250E303 $80

Re: E303 prices

Originally posted by 91Sport
Where did you get such good prices?

I just got a 97 5.0 Explorer with a bad lifter, so I'm looking at doing the whole cam/valve train replacement.

Thanks,
how do you know it has a bad lifter? is it ticking?

I got all my parts from either eBay or www.cafords.com . eBay is the way to go. All my stuff was brand spankin new too. :cool:

its shaky enough that my mirror gets a good wobbling while it idles.

it definitely takes off eh?

Section - How is the cam holding up? I am going to be doing mine when I get back in town next week, and the Eaton gets back. Anything you've noticed you can add (information wise).... :chug:

I know you need a harmonic ballancer puller to get it off, but do you need a special tool to put it back on?

Nope no special tool to get it back on.

Just slide the ballancer back on and use the bolt to put it back in. :)

Section,
It is stalling when changing gears because the stock torque converter doesn't stall high enough rpms. I adjusted my idle a little higher. It seems to work so far.

What are you idling at right now? Mine is around 800 I believe.

What else have you done to yours?

900 in gear, 1000 out of gear. 1.6 rollers

Back