How to: - Install Ford 8.8" gears | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Ford 8.8" gears

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the event that you break off the main retaining pin bolt inside the carrier and are unable to remove the pin that retains the side gears what can you do besides somehow drilling it out while the carrier is still in the differential housing? A friend of mine is trying to replace an axle seal on a 8.8 from a f150 and it would seem someone before me has broken it or it broke during operation (If thats at all possible) This is the second time we have had to deal with this problem and a straightforward solution would be much appreciated ^^

To the best of my knowledge, there is no straightforward solution to this problem. A broken bolt in that position is nothing but a problem.

Depending on how far below the surface of the hole the bolt is broken, you might be able to weld another bolt to it and back it out, but that procedure would be iffy at best.

It will be difficult to drill also, but if you are contemplating drilling, start with a COBALT LEFT-HANDED drill bit. The hardness of the cobalt and the left-hand threads will sometimes bite into the bolt and back it out during the drilling process.

This tool by Snap On will help guide the drill bit accurately -- worth its weight in gold for this type of procedure (Note that individual parts can be ordered separately to save money!):

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=1254&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=15533&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

So can you gear guru's help me figure out what is wrong with my 3:73 gear install on my 8:8?

I had a Ford dealer instal my Ford racing 3:73 gears. Afterwards, I smelled gear oil. I jacked up the car, looked under it, and oil was all over my mufflers, rear, and fuel tank. It also gets on my rear bumper.

It leaks from the front of the housing, so I thought it was the pinion seal. I replaced that and it still leaks right at the seal. What do you all think is wrong with this stupid thing?

I should've made The dealer fix it, but after them screwing up, I didn't want to ake it back and have them hack on it anymore. :mad:

You paid them good money to do a job correctly -- take it back and shove it down their throats.

It sounds like they forgot to install the oil slinger -- a washer/spacer looking part that actually works to sling the oil into the drain channel so it doesn't blow out the seal -- that, or -- they somehow messed up the vent line and it is getting hot and blowing out the seal.

You paid them good money to do a job correctly -- take it back and shove it down their throats.

It sounds like they forgot to install the oil slinger -- a washer/spacer looking part that actually works to sling the oil into the drain channel so it doesn't blow out the seal -- that, or -- they somehow messed up the vent line and it is getting hot and blowing out the seal.

Where is this vent line? And if this washer is missing, how hard is it to replace? Can I just take it apart and put in a new one, or will it need to be dial calibrated or whatever? :(

I just don't have the tools to really do gear work. This is why I paid these clowns to do it. I've done everything else to this car myself. :mad:

Where is this vent line? And if this washer is missing, how hard is it to replace? Can I just take it apart and put in a new one, or will it need to be dial calibrated or whatever? :(

I just don't have the tools to really do gear work. This is why I paid these clowns to do it. I've done everything else to this car myself. :mad:

You would have to pull the pinion and re-set up everything.

You really need to get educated in gearing an axle -- it would help you diagnose your problem and decide whether or not you can do your own work. Here is a good place to start:

http://www.selectric.org/manuals/rearend/yukoninstman.pdf

Here is Bill Vista's great write up from Pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup

And, here is a scanned in Ford factory manual from the late 60s (same axle):

http://www.selectric.org/manuals/rearend/indexford.html

new member gears

im kevin i have an 85 ranger with a dana 35 a an 8.8 and i found thsi site while looking for info on installing the 4.56s i just bought this will be my first gear swap

...I nominate this to be a Sticky..

...Unless there is a better thread that I missed...:dunno:

hum im thinking about now just finding a 4.10 axle and swapping it this looks like a pain in the ass

1. Is the straight axle 8.8 virtually the same internally ? 2. Will the traction loc found in mustangs fit in the 3rd gen ex irs? I have one out of a 91 5.0 I could use. 3. Will a Mustang 8.8 rebuild kit work in the irs?

Back