how to install LED light on license plate and outside mirror on 4th gen explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to install LED light on license plate and outside mirror on 4th gen explorer

Hey everyone. I wanted to show everyone how to replace those regular exterior light bulbs for LED bulbs on 4th gen ford explorer. I'm not sure if someone has or not posted this before, but here you go. I did this on my 2007 ford explorer today. this project took a couple of minutes to do. I am not responsible for any damage YOU do to your vehicle. Attempt this installation AT YOUR OWN RISK.

the bulb number for exterior light are 168. I bought the Led bulbs on ebay, from this place.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&item=270745511720&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

you are going to order 4 led bulbs. this is how much it needs for this project.

this is for passenger side. you can do the same thing for the driver side.

IMAG0582.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

IMAG0584.jpg

use a pocket flat screw driver to remove light assembly.

IMAG0585.jpg

turn bulb socket counterclockwise, to get to bulb.

IMAG0586.jpg

IMAG0587.jpg

regular bulb vs. LED bulb.
IMAG0589.jpg

IMAG0591.jpg

IMAG0592.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
part 2: LICENSE PLATE BULB REPLACEMENT.

IMAG0593.jpg

regular bulbs still installed.
IMAG0594.jpg

you need to push on little tab in order to remove bulb assemly.
IMAG0596.jpg

IMAG0598.jpg

this is a comparison, regular bulb and LED bulb.
IMAG0599.jpg

reinstall bulb assembly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here is a couple of pictures with the LED bulbs installed at night. what do ya think???

IMAG0601.jpg

IMAG0600.jpg

IMAG0602.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to mention, if the LED bulbs don't light up, you will need to switch them around.

Nice job! :thumbsup: Thanks for taking the time to do this write up! :D

Thanks for taking the time to post and put pics online of this. I now want to do this on my 07 Explorer.

Thanks for taking the time to post and put pics online of this. I now want to do this on my 07 Explorer.

No problem. I recommend it anybody.

That looks awesome. Any idea if he has bulbs for interiors lights?

Just got my interior dome led's, and bought exterior mirror and license plate bulbs.
Gonna post some pics when they're all in .
Thanks for your help:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back