How to install OEM running boards on '05? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to install OEM running boards on '05?

paperdesk

Reaction score
City, State
Inchelium, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Explorer
I need to install OEM running boards on my 2005 explorer. It never had running boards before. I have a used set of boards and brackets, but several fuel/AC lines appear to be in the way of installing the small stabilizer brackets on the passenger side. The main brackets look like they will bold up no problem. Anyone else run into this? I can unbolt the lines and move them a bit, but it doesn't seem they will move enough. I really don't want to disconnect them . . .

Any advice?

Thanks,

Ted

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone done this?

I need to install OEM running boards on my 2005 explorer. It never had running boards before. I have a used set of boards and brackets, but several fuel/AC lines appear to be in the way of installing the small stabilizer brackets on the passenger side. The main brackets look like they will bold up no problem. Anyone else run into this? I can unbolt the lines and move them a bit, but it doesn't seem they will move enough. I really don't want to disconnect them . . .

Any advice?

Thanks,

Ted

i don't seem to have the pictures anymore, but each bracket bolts to the body in 4 spots. there are 6 studs in those trucks that came with factory running boards, so i'd be leary of their strength if they were just bolted up at the top of the bracket.

but to get the brackets up to the right spots, i tilted my running boards perpendicular to the ground and moved them upwards towards the body of the truck and when they were high enough up, i was able to move the running boards back to parallel with the ground and support each end with jack stands while i tightened the bolts

Thank you Kazer, sorry I didn't reply earlier, I don't always get notifications from this forum for some reason. Maybe they're getting filtered out with my spam filter. Anyway, I do have one side installed no problem, but the other side has AC lines that I'm worried about. Did you have to deal with them? I have to install the mounting bolt studs since there never were running boards on my rig before. I have the studs, but the AC lines are in the way. I guess I'll just try unbolting the AC line and hope it swings away far enough to let me get in there. I'll post back with what I find out.

Ted

I went ahead and tackled it, and it wasn't too bad, other than the dirt falling down into my eyes and ears! I had to remove several brackets, and gently pry the lines out of the way.

I went ahead and tackled it, and it wasn't too bad, other than the dirt falling down into my eyes and ears! I had to remove several brackets, and gently pry the lines out of the way.

I didn't remove anything but the running boards+brackets as one pc... But my mom has the plastic ones and they're junk vs the Eddie bauer are steel.....

Back