how to install shocks on a 96? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to install shocks on a 96?

coolchris

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
hey i just got my bilsteins in the mail and i want to install them but im not quite sure on how to do it, i searched for a bit but got kinda confused... can anybody explain how to install shocks (front and rear) (its a 96)? is there anyway i can do it without a jack (because i dont have one)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can do it without a jack. The rears are easier if you remove the spare first. Take the spare out and unbolt the two bolts holding the top of the shock to the body, then remove the nut and bolt holding the shock to the lower shock mount and pull the shock off.

NOTE: WHEN INSTALLING GAS CHARGED SHOCKS, IT'S EASIER TO LEAVE THE PACKAGING BANDS ON THE REAR SHOCKS WHILE INSTALLING!!!

To install the rear shocks, first put the shock on the lower shock mount and install the nut and bolt, then cut the packaging band off the new shock and guide it into position as it expands. Install the two top bolts and you're done. Repeat for other rear shock.

To change out the front shocks, it helps to have the wheel turned sharply to access the lower bolt.

First, lift the rubber flap up behind the rear wheel and remove the nut, the washer, and the rubber bushing from the top of the shock. You may have to use a second wrench to keep the shaft from spinning. Then remove the two lower bolts. Pull shock out. To install the new shock, cut the packaging band off the shock and put a new washer and bushing on the shaft. Slide that up into the top shock mount hole and compress the shock enough to put the bottom in position. Install the two lower bolts. Repeat for the other shock and you're done.

On edit, I forgot to tell ya to put the bushing, washer and nut on the front shock after you get it in place, but you would have figured that out fast enough :D

Thanks for the detailed directions Jeff, I do have a question regarding bushings... or whatever you call those rubber discs at the top and bottom of the shock (specifically the front)... is there anything else that is wise to replace when you install the shocks? Even on a year or two old Explorer? Thanks for any information. I just ordered OME shocks for the front and will be installing them next week.

well i did the rear shocks today, they are incredibly hard to compress enough to get up there but i managed. ill do the fronts tomorrow, ill tell you how it goes. with just the rears in place i have noticibly less body roll in turns.

If you leave the ty strap on the shock, connect the shock to the rear shock plate, you then can cut the strap while you guide the top part of the shock toward the upper mount. There will be enough pressure that you can let go and focus your attention on getting the bolts in there. That's what I did. For the front, it's much easier to just take the front tires off.

Originally posted by coolchriscush
well i did the rear shocks today, they are incredibly hard to compress enough to get up there but i managed....

That's why you leave the shipping bands on the shocks when you put them in. If you do, you don't have to manually compress them. Just mount the bottoms, cut the band and guide the top of the shock into place as it expands. If your shock doesn't have shipping bands on it when you get them, it's sometimes easier to mount the top first and then use a floor jack to jack the bottom into place.

becker69. The shocks have everything you need with them to install the shocks. The only other thing I can suggest is putting a little anti-sieze on the nuts/bolts before you install so they aren't a mother when you go to take them out in a couple of years.

my shocks didint come with the shipping band things on them, they were already fully extended in the box. had they had them on there already it would have beena piece of cake

When I installed new shocks on my '95, I used a piece of string to hold the shock compressed. The shipping strap was too long to install them. I am currently waiting for a set of Rancho RSX's to be delivered (I was hoping to install them this weekend).

well i just got the fronts on and the ride is 100% better. its by no means stiff and jittery, its just not all bouncy... its just how i wanted it to be. i recomend bilsteins to anyone lookin for a not-bouncy shock that gives a good ride.

Jeff, thanks for the idea of the anti-sieze.it's not a bad idea at all. I can't wait to get my Old Man Emu's!!:D Todd, you will have to let me know what you think about the RSX Rancho's on the Sport Trac, I was between the bilstein's and the OME's so I took a gamble, I hope it pays off :)

Back