How to: Install Stock Mirrors with Puddle Lamps on a 2nd Gen. (95-01) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Stock Mirrors with Puddle Lamps on a 2nd Gen. (95-01)

After searching for many days, I finally decided that no one has posted how to install the mirrors with puddle lamps on a 2nd gen explorer and that I would have to figure it out for my self. Note: this write-up was done after the install, so the pics are all after.
STEP 1-
  • Obtain two mirrors with puddle lamps (Mine came from '98 Limited, so they were also heated.) I picked up mine for $50. Make sure you grab both the female and male connectors out of the donor
  • Some 18-22 gauge wire connectors
  • a pair of wire crimpers
  • a Philips head screwdriver
  • a flathead screwdriver
  • socket wrench with extension, an 11 mm socket and 6 mm socket.
  • a zip tie
  • some roughly 20 gauge electrical wire
  • some patience (though it shouldn't be that hard)

STEP 2- Remove the door panel (I started on the passenger side) and peel back the liner.
STEP 3- Remove speaker from door using 6 mm socket (1/4" socket will work)
037.jpg

STEP 3- Remove the old side mirror. First, undo the white connectors. Then undo the nuts that hold the mirror to the door using the 11mm socket and extension. There are three. Make sure that you are careful to keep the nuts in the socket after they come off the screw, its a PITA to get them out if they fall inside the door. Remove the mirror.
043.jpg

Now for the slightly harder stuff
STEP 4- Remove the plastic trim on the a-pillar on both sides (held in place by clips, just pull gently) and then remove both visors (they are held in place by 4 Philips screws). Now remove the overhead console (if you do not have an overhead console, refer to STEP 7). Open the garage door opener portion and then remove the two Philips screws there. Now gently pull down, it has two clips behind the temp portion.
IMG_0914.jpg

STEP 5- THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE THE OVERHEAD CONSOLE. IF YOU HAVE IT, SKIP TO #6. You will need to remove the top portion of the driver's side seatbelt and panel behind it. To remove the top portion of the seatbelt, you must have a T-50 and possibly a breaker bar. Once that is removed, pull the plastic rivet out and look behind the panel. There should be some wire covered in tape. Carefully cut a section of tape away.

STEP 6- okay now that we are all on the same page some what, find the blue/black wire that connects to overhead (or in that group of wires). This is your door open/ light trigger wire. Splice into it and send to both driver and passenger (Or for no overhead people, send to the driver side first and then splice into that wire for the passenger side somewhere underneath the roof). Now for the really tricky part. You must send the wire through the wire tunnel. The passenger side is much easier than the driver. You do this as not to develope a short in the system (thank you Waskly for your input). On the passenger side, undo both sides of the wire tunnel. Then pass the wire you connected out to through the hole and into the tunnel. Reach up into the tunnel grab the wire and pull it completely through. Place both ends of the tunnel back in place. On the driver's side, you have you remove the end on the door you must cut the strap that holds the tunnel onto the plastic housing. Then pull the other end of the tunnel out from the body and stuff the wire through like on the passenger. After you are finished, you can reattach the tunnel end using a zip tie. Re-plug the other end into the body.

STEP 7- Pull the white female connector out
038.jpg

and cut it while leaving as much wire as possible still there. Then connect the yellow, purple, and green wires (passenger) to the matching colored wires on the connector with the crimper.
039.jpg

For the driver side, those colors are yellow, blue, and red. CAUTION: If you purchased heated mirrors, the connector will have a green wire w/ a purple stripe. Do not connect that wire to the solid green wire on the passenger side.

Now, take the wire that you have just run to the doors and connect it to the black wire with the pink stripe (power). Then for a ground, I just ran a wire from the two black wires on the connector outside to the window switch and spliced into the illumination ground.
042.jpg

and...
041.jpg

I didn't hook up the heated mirror part because I live in South Texas, where winters are usually 60 degrees +.

I hope this helps somebody and feel free to comment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should do something with that wire, it will get pinched, grounded and blow a fuse.

thats really a bad way to run a wire.

p.s not being an ass. i just dont see it very useful when it shorts out from dangling in the door with no gromits etc. i would try to snake it through a loom.

Yeah, just decided to try to fix that seeing as it doesn't look good either. Thanks.

on the drivers side, i dont remember if that big bulk connector is 1 peice or 2, if it is 2 piece, get a rubber vacuum tube small and snake the wire in it, and try to tie it to the bulk connector, with enough slack that the door open and closes, on the pass side, shove it into the rubber thingy you see in front of it.

On my 97 limited there is a light installed in the door panel and that is one place you could wire to so there isn't any extra wiring. Nice writeup I want to install those on mine.

Updated with new found way. Thanks Waskly!

On my 97 limited there is a light installed in the door panel and that is one place you could wire to so there isn't any extra wiring. Nice writeup I want to install those on mine.

The 98-01s do not have the light at the bottom of the door. I believe Ford replaced them with the puddle lamps in 98 and I think the 95-97s didn't have puddle lamps as an option. But you can hook them up using that light in the door.

I will be reversing that- and installing lights back into the panels of my doors in my 2000 Ex. The truck is just too damn dark inside. That light lit up the back seat floor, the puddle lamps do nothing once the doors are open, and obviously can't do anything when closed...

Nice writeup! :thumbsup:

Back