How to: Interior lights on - Door Ajar | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Interior lights on - Door Ajar

If you have handle controlled interior lights and they are always staying on and you have the door ajar light on, you are going to love this fix.. It's an easy and a cheap fix, and is the way to perform your maintenance of this switch...

Put your fuse and bulbs back in, roll your windows up and get a can of wd40 with the straw...start with your drivers door...from the outside pull the handle up and where the handle goes thru the door, squirt a little wd40 in both those slits...open the door and just work the outside handle a few times...go to the passenger door and do the same....thats all there is to it...good luck...:D

Update

...If you have an X, You may also need to wd40 your rear hatch latches and If this does not fix your problem and this is a normal fix, you may have some other issues so please read post #8,#12, and 13 of this thread...;)

...Maybe a broken wire could also be your problem??
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223988

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup latches on both doors and both latches on the hatch. the passenger door is the only one that dosnt ding when i open it. i have had the dor pannel off and tried to lube everything on the inside to.... no luck.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

...have you looked into the other threads i had noted here???

yeah...didnt help. i ended up disconecting it at the switch. seems to be ok now. just the dome light wont come on with the passenger door. no big deal.

...if you contact kbabiak on the bottom of the forums page he can get you a switch...;)

I have a similar problem like this, My interior lights stay on after the doors are shut, when installing my alarm it said all my doors were open. My door ajar light is blown out, changed it and it just went out again, probably from being on all of the time. I tried the Wd-40 trick and got nothing. Think its my GEM Module?

Btw I have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L 4x4.

...it could also be how your alarm was installed...:scratch:

It seems I am not alone

I see there are many others with the same glitch.
I have a 96 Ex. Sport
8" lift, huge tires, and all the other (cr*#) this breed of Ex. implies!
4 speed
All auto
air
deluxe all around.
whoopie!
I bought it this way.
(It was a deal from a realtive story)
so it has always had a glitch with the ingnition.
That I was fine with.
now, it's the door adjar light (always on)
dome light wont turn off for 30 min.
it's killing my battery now.

oh wait,
please!!!
can N E 1 tell me if this Ex.has a clutch that be adjusted?
thanx guys!

Wendy

This is going to be good!

I see there are many others with the same glitch.
I have a 96 Ex. Sport
8" lift, huge tires, and all the other (cr*#) this breed of Ex. implies!
4 speed
All auto
air
deluxe all around.
whoopie!
I bought it this way.
(It was a deal from a realtive story)
so it has always had a glitch with the ingnition.
That I was fine with.
now, it's the door adjar light (always on)
dome light wont turn off for 30 min.
it's killing my battery now.

oh wait,
please!!!
can N E 1 tell me if this Ex.has a clutch that be adjusted?
thanx guys!

Wendy

Well, being short on answers for you, I just wondered if you had a pic of said breed... Sounds like a something to behold! :popcorn:

What's up with the clutch?

clutch ?'s

hi, thanx again for trying to help.
I have had many standard tran. vehicals.
I can tell when the clutch is starting to go.
Slipping, rev-ing,, you know......
I was told by someone that I probably need a new clutch.
Then, told it may only need an adjustment...............
does the 96 Ex. Sport have an adjustable clutch?
thanx,
Wendy

WendySanDiego:
Sorry tried replying to your e-mail but my e-mail client is being a bit fussy tonight
but i did get it tho :D

Some people experiencing a door ajar code may notice that they are having problems with 4 X 4 low as well. The power door lock sticking will set this code with the GEM module, and cancel 4 X 4 low. This article in the January/February issue of Gears Magazine addresses this issue on a 1999 Explorer. The main point of this article is to address that 4 x 4 won’t engage occasionally when the transfer case is in the low range. Here is a link to this article: http://gearsmagazine.com/images/issues/2_2008/2008_1_30.pdf. Ford acknowledges the problem with the older style door lock which causes the door ajar issue. They have a redesigned power door lock to replace it.

...thanks brooklyn for the heads up and the link...:thumbsup:

Worked for me!

I forgot to post when I registered but I just bought an '02 explorer and noticed this issue. WD-40 worked great!

Now, to tackle the issue of the cold-weather induced door latch not working...

...i'm glad to hear it worked for you and thanks for posting this as so many just forget to...:D

why me

Just bought a 02 ex, eddie bauer,
2 weeks later I get the door ajar problem. No bells ding on any door, lights stay on and I get a dbl horn honk when setting the factory alarm. please help.

What is the GEM module?

Any wire I should just cut?

...did you try the wd40??? :scratch:

no wd40, after reading the thread I figured that only works when you can locate the faulty door by a no ding when open. Guess I should try it anyway huh.
I'll have to go get some though

thanks for the info it really worked

Back