How To: Key Locked Lug Nut Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Key Locked Lug Nut Removal

...The easiest, and most common way to remove Key Locked Lug nuts that no one has a key for, is to have a muffler shop (or a friend), take and weld an old lug nut, (you supply) onto the existing Key Locked Lug...Then, just use a lug wrench and spin it off like normal...;)

...I have done this on several vehicles I have purchased including my X...:biggthump

...But today I ran into a new challenge...How do you get a Recessed Key Lock Lug off that you couldn't reach to weld ???...:scratch:

...Not only that, I was at a junk yard this morning where you can not bring in a torch or welding equipment...So I left without the great rewards of what I had found..:(

...I pondered on this for a couple hours while driving around and picking up other parts...My worst fear was somebody was going to figure this problem out and I would lose out on my rare to me find...

...Then it hit me...(insert light bulb here)

...I know a company that takes in hundreds of Repo's per month and I know their main mechanic who gets them re-finished into stock condition for sales to the major car lots...Surely he must deal with this all the time...I quickly ran over to their shop and inquired how this could be done...

...He said, "Meet your new friend" and handed me this small pouch the size of a cigarette pack...

...He informed me that these sell for about $175 and can be only found at places like Snap-On or Mac tools..
Lug_Nut_Tool_001.jpg

...The pouch contains 2- double ended extracting tools and a 2 1/2"- 1/2" extension bar...These 2 pictures show the difference in size of one extracting socket and the knurls on each of it's inside perimeter...
Lug_Nut_Tool_003.jpg

Lug_Nut_Tool_002.jpg

...You smack the socket on the Key Locked Lug with a hammer...You then insert the 2 1/2" extension bar and I used my 2' long, 1/2" breaker bar and Presto, a piece of cake...:biggthump

Note:...This picture was taken on my X so you do not see the recessed lug I was dealing with but you can get the idea of how this socket just fits perfect...
Lug_Nut_Tool_004.jpg

...And the Bounty I was after that inspired finding such a tool???

...A new set of manual locking hubs, 2-sets of new Warn spindle nut conversion kits, 2 c-clips, and 2 splined washers that no one else could get to on a 91 X, and the truck was totally stripped except for what was behind these 2 locked wheels and was ready for the crusher...($38 bucks total)...:bounce:
Lug_Nut_Tool_005.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 12 volt electric impact wrench I bought at wal-mart came with a extension and 2 sockets like what you have pictured, I think I paid around $30 for it

...I just looked these up on Mac tools and no pic of them, but with the decription they are only about $79 pl tx....I borrowed them and was told I can borrow them anytime I need to...I said, "heck yes"...:biggthump

...Sadly to say, there was no electricity near this vehicle and I could not bring in a generator nor a compressor...Do you have a link to your tools you mentioned???...For that price, I might just pick that set up just for the extraction sockets...:scratch:

...I don't trust Harbor Freight on tools you need to smack with a ...:hammer:

i know what you mean there when i was doing the RA's on my van Sunday i needed a breaker bar for em and almost went to HF for one then decided against it and went across the street to Sears instead :D

..Cyber, I just saw the EF link you posted and these are so much better than them...Also, this kit had 4 sizes to work with and I don't think those would have worked with the Explorer wheels and this key locked lug...

...I am still giddy this morning over my stash of parts I got with this tool...I just can't believe someone just stuck all those brand new parts on an X and it quickly made it to the junk yard...More importantly, I wound up with those brand new parts for cheap with the help of this tool...:bounce:

...Note to self: Don't take the Ranger with brand new tires to the jy again...:shifty_ey...You would of thought my Ranger was a topless girl ...:rolleyes:

...Here's hoping you have just as much luck, and don't have to wait as long, to score like I did..:chug:

I've heard using a big screwdriver and creating a grove to get to start spinning works in a pickle. Most cars and trucks only have one lock per wheel.

Exsecpt my Volvo:D My new wheels came with special tunner lugs, that are every lug needs the key:p:

...Those look like they are similar...I would want to first see the knurls on them...The ones cyber posted from HF I wouldn't recommend just because of the way they are knurled...

...Being that those are Ingersoll Rand, those are probably good and the price is great...You always find the killer deals...:biggthump

I always got an old china socket and beat it on the lug. hehe

I always got an old china socket and beat it on the lug. hehe

I do the same thing. I buy sockets at garage sales in bulk for this specific reason. $5 for 30 expendable sockets is always a good deal. I currently have half of a 5 gallon bucket filled with sacrificial sockets.

I don't use a China socket- I use a 1/2" breaker bar, a Craftsman 21mm, 12 point socket at the pick 'n pull for Taurus rims- then when it's possibly destroyed, I can get it replaced for free. :)

Nice find on the Warn's!

Nice find on the Warn's!

...Thanks...I was just about to head to 4wheelparts and order a set of hubs...They are now asking $199 plus for the Dana 35 hubs...:rolleyes:

...A couple years ago I was looking for this info on removing key locked lugs and I couldn't find much...I am glad you guys all chimed in with various methods and cheaper tools as I am sure this will help others having this same problem...:salute:

Holy expensive hubs!

Yeah, hope we didn't come across as buzzkilling your find on the tools, just sharing what I do, every set of good SHO slicer or chrome wheels at the junkyard has a locking lug. I've been through about 4 sockets and one arm sling. :D

...Those are knurled like the ones from HF...I don't think they would work as well since the knurls are the same direction as you will be turning the lug...I may be wrong..:dunno:

...Note to self: Don't take the Ranger with brand new tires to the jy again...:shifty_ey...You would of thought my Ranger was a topless girl ...:rolleyes:

Note to all never take your good junk to a junkyard it might not be there when you get back. I know this from Experience:rolleyes::mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A couple more options...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947392000P?keyword=47392&sLevel=0

3 pc. Lug-Off flip socket set. These 3 sockets cover the 6 most common wheel lugs and lock sizes in the market today, and they are designed to remove damaged lugs and wheel locks when the key is lost or unavailable. Aggressive helical flutes bite harder into the fastener as more pressure is applied.

0&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.jpg

Combines a 6-point socket with a flip-side 6-fluted (Bolt-out™) socket for removing lug nuts (6-point) and damaged lug nuts (6-flute). May be used with an impact gun. Includes drive sizes 17 mm., 19 mm., 21 mm., and 7/8 in. and a 3 in. extension. These sizes fit most domestic and foreign cars as well as light trucks.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934916000P?keyword=47392&sLevel=0

0&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.jpg

Back