How to know if my 5R55E transmission is rebuilt: On bench | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to know if my 5R55E transmission is rebuilt: On bench

1992fordgreen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Inside the Rehabilitation Center
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 SC400 92 SC400 96 Ex
Hi again guys
Wondering how I would know if my 5R55E transmission is rebuilt. It is on the bench. Can I find out just by inspecting it? The bolts are blue instead of stock silver, and the caps are turned around. Tranny pan gasket seems to be like new. I have no records, reason being this tranny came off of a JY Explorer.
Knowledge shed on this subject would be appreciative. :)

OR if there is another thread on this, (I can't find one) it'd be cool to show me where it is. Thankls

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brooklyn? bump...:)

How about a bump?

I know that when the A4LD is rebuilt the pump seal has to be staked in. You can see if it has been done before. I think the pump bolts are suppose to be blue too.

How about a bump?

I know that when the A4LD is rebuilt the pump seal has to be staked in. You can see if it has been done before. I think the pump bolts are suppose to be blue too.
What do you mean by "staked in"? I guess the blue bolts on the pump gear are stock...though...somebody said it could have been rebuilt because of that.
thansk

The seal sits in low enough that the metal around it can be bent over the edge of the seal slightly to keep it in place. They use a special tool and every time the seal is replaced (trans rebuilt) there are new marks.

No way to really tell.

So based on the information I gave, do you think my 5R could have been rebuilt?
Don't know if they do this when they rebuild, but there is a sticker on the tranny that says "2013" and "98 Explorer 4.0". It's cheap paper sticker, does this mean anything or is this original?
Thanks for your input all.

That sticker is from the JY. Is the torque converter painted or bare metal? the stock converter is bare metal but most aftermarket ones are painted. Blue seems to be a poular color. The used one I bought had an mfg date sticker on it too, so i knew it had been rebuilt shortly before the truck was wrecked.

That sticker is from the JY. Is the torque converter painted or bare metal? the stock converter is bare metal but most aftermarket ones are painted. Blue seems to be a poular color. The used one I bought had an mfg date sticker on it too, so i knew it had been rebuilt shortly before the truck was wrecked.
The sticker was inaccessible for the JY, unless they would pull the trans out. The sticker was/is on the very top of the transmission. The torque converter was already gone from the tranny when I got the tranny at the JY, (somebody purchased it). I actually have noticed re-manufactured converters be painted blue. Will there be any MFG date sticker on my trans? Or is that sticker I saw it? Thanks for the replies.

Looks like it's rebuilt. Thanks

Back