how to leave keys in the car and use keyless entry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to leave keys in the car and use keyless entry

Boester4

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
I want to be able to leave my keys in the car and use the keyless entry to get in. I did this all the time on my 2006 explorer. My new 2011 explorer won't let me lock them in there. That's a great feature...but I have a keypad. So, when I lock it and shut the door, it unlocks. Is there a way to turn this off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to be able to leave my keys in the car and use the keyless entry to get in. I did this all the time on my 2006 explorer. My new 2011 explorer won't let me lock them in there. That's a great feature...but I have a keypad. So, when I lock it and shut the door, it unlocks. Is there a way to turn this off?
No need to turn anything off. I assume you used the lock button on the door. This will not work for what you want. Try using the lock button on the keyfob, then leave the fob in the vehicle and close the door. On mine, the doors stay locked using this method.
Welcome to the Forum Boester4. :wavey:

Peter

Press and hold the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons on the outside drivers door and they will lock with the fob inside. I do it sometimes, works fine.

It just ocurred to me that this could be an insurance problem. If someone were to break into the vehicle, find the keyfob and then drive off, I wonder if the insurance company would cover the loss since the keys were left inside?

Thanks...I'll try that. I found in my book it says just to lock it using the keyless pad but I tried that and it didn't work. I'll try the 7/8 and 9/0 method.

I have thought about that insurance situation but they would still be breaking in to my car!!! Right?!

Thanks...I'll try that. I found in my book it says just to lock it using the keyless pad but I tried that and it didn't work. I'll try the 7/8 and 9/0 method.

I have thought about that insurance situation but they would still be breaking in to my car!!! Right?!
That damage may be covered but I don't know about coverage for 'theft' if they drive off with it using your keys.

ok, both of those methods worked. I used the keypad on my older vehicle and when I got this one I SWEAR I tried that several times and it didn't work. I know I was also trying to do it from inside the door.

Thanks!

No clue about the insurance thing. Let's hope it never happens :)

If its stolen how could they prove the key was in the car?

Pretty sure you're still covered if your car stolen with the keys in the car. A theft is not defined by how it's stolen.

With the door panel on press with both fingers in a firm yet subtle about 7 / 8, and 9 / 0, this is how locked the doors, Greetings

Just to be clear:

1. Hitting the lock button on the door does not work. Once the door is closed the horn beeps letting you know that you are walking away from your unlocked Ex with the key inside.

2. Getting out and locking via the keypad (pressing 7/8 and 9/0 simultaneously) works.

3. Locking with the key fob lock button also works.

Overall it's a very cool feature. My brother had a 1990 LSC and he said he never carried his keys around. Always used the keypad to get in the car. Our modern day Ex takes it to the next level allowing us to start it without the key. Man o man is technology making us lazy :)

If its stolen how could they prove the key was in the car?

Pretty sure you're still covered if your car stolen with the keys in the car. A theft is not defined by how it's stolen.

Auto theft is not defined by the manner in which the vehicle is stolen you are correct.

What I beleive is being suggested here is insurance coverage limitations based on percieved owner negligence.

If you drive up to 7-11 on a cold morning to grab a coffee and you leave your vehicle running with the keys in it and its stolen you are liable because that is an offence in many States and Provinces.

If your residence is broken into and they take your keys from the inside the residence and steal your car your not liable.

There was an issue with some of the higher end vehicles having a plastic Valet key built into the owners manual sitting in the glove box. Kind of like a credit card with a key cutout that could be used for Valet so they didnt get your whole key ring with house keys. In this case owners were not liable because most didnt even know the key was locked in the glove box.

But some insurance companies made it tough to make claims.

Bottom line, check your insurance.

Auto theft is not defined by the manner in which the vehicle is stolen you are correct.

What I beleive is being suggested here is insurance coverage limitations based on percieved owner negligence.

If you drive up to 7-11 on a cold morning to grab a coffee and you leave your vehicle running with the keys in it and its stolen you are liable because that is an offence in many States and Provinces.

If your residence is broken into and they take your keys from the inside the residence and steal your car your not liable.

There was an issue with some of the higher end vehicles having a plastic Valet key built into the owners manual sitting in the glove box. Kind of like a credit card with a key cutout that could be used for Valet so they didnt get your whole key ring with house keys. In this case owners were not liable because most didnt even know the key was locked in the glove box.

But some insurance companies made it tough to make claims.

Bottom line, check your insurance.

I see your point but like Boester4 said, the perp is still breaking into a locked vehicle. If a house burglar breaks into your home and finds the keys to your safe, i'm pretty sure your covered for anything missing from the safe.

But since insurance companies are evil it wouldnt hurt to check your policies just to make sure. I'll check mine and report back my findings.

It just ocurred to me that this could be an insurance problem. If someone were to break into the vehicle, find the keyfob and then drive off, I wonder if the insurance company would cover the loss since the keys were left inside?

I thought I had read somewhere if you left the Intelligent Access Key in the car and locked it using the [7/8] [9/0] key press method the Intelligent Access Key would be deactivated and could not start the car unless the passcode was entered on the keypad or another authorized Intelligent Access Key was present to unlock the car.

Or am I imagining that?

I thought I had read somewhere if you left the Intelligent Access Key in the car and locked it using the [7/8] [9/0] key press method the Intelligent Access Key would be deactivated and could not start the car unless the passcode was entered on the keypad or another authorized Intelligent Access Key was present to unlock the car.

Or am I imagining that?

This is correct!

That's why Ford allows for your key to be locked in the car using the keypad.

Do not lock you key in the car using any other method that the outside keypad.

Or am I imagining that?

I tried this when I got the X (v2.8), and it did NOT work. I left the FOB in the X for an hr, opened the door, foot on brake and she started right up. I now have v2.11 and have not tried this again...

This is correct!

Is this stated in the Owner's Guide somewhere? I looked and could not find it. I did find this note: Do not leave a duplicate coded key in the vehicle. Always take your keys and lock all doors when leaving the vehicle. This seems to contradict your statement.

I tried this when I got the X (v2.8), and it did NOT work. I left the FOB in the X for an hr, opened the door, foot on brake and she started right up. I now have v2.11 and have not tried this again...
I tried to see if I could lock the key in and see if it deactivated. Being by myself this morning, I rolled down the driver's side rear window and got in the back seat. Reaching out I pressed 7/8, 9/0 and locked the vehicle. No alarm due to the window being open. I then pressed the ignition button and everything seemed to work as normal. Message came up saying to press on the brake to start vehicle. Obviously the key fob was NOT deactivated.
I have V2.4 but I don't think such a feature would depend upon which version you have if Ford has made the statement that the key would be deactivated by using the keypad in the door. I have not been able to find that in the manual. Perhaps I'm not looking in the correct place?

This is correct!

I went to the dealership to order my Winter tire package and mentioned the above to the salesman. We went and tried it as described above and the key fob did NOT deactivate.
He also mentioned a key locked in a vehicle that is subsequently stolen, IS an insurance issue. At least it is here.

I see your point but like Boester4 said, the perp is still breaking into a locked vehicle. If a house burglar breaks into your home and finds the keys to your safe, i'm pretty sure your covered for anything missing from the safe.

But since insurance companies are evil it wouldnt hurt to check your policies just to make sure. I'll check mine and report back my findings.
I spoke to my salesman at the dealership today about the issue of leaving a key in a locked vehicle that is then stolen. He said that it definitely is an insurance issue, at least it is here. Whether it applies to all of Canada or just Ontario I did not ask. He said that if a stolen vehicle with this type of ignition is recovered and there is no damage to the ignition, the insurance company will ask the owner to produce both sets of keys. If unable to do so, you are out of luck!

UPDATE: I just spoke to my insurance company about leaving a key inside a locked vehicle which is then stolen. They said that unless I arranged for someone to steal my vehicle, I am covered. They basically said a Theft is a Theft. Even if I keft the vehicle running with the door open, I'm covered.

With these 2 widely varying comments, I think you may want to contact your own insurance to see what their policy is. Or, you can just find out if and when the situation arises.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unlock all doors from drivers side.

I have push button start. I want to be able to unlock all the doors from the drivers side while still outside the vehicle. I have the drivers door set as the only door to unlock when I put my hand in the handle. Is there a way to unlock the other doors without having to get out my IA fob or opening the door and hitting the unlock button on the door. I tried touching 3/4 on side panel, but that didn't work. (For those of you who think I'm just lazy - sometimes I just want to put something in the back seat or open the back door first for someone before I get in.)

Back