how to leave keys in the car and use keyless entry | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to leave keys in the car and use keyless entry

I don't think too many car thieves are going to worry about using the code to gain entry. They just break in. If they then find the fob, they could knowingly or accidently activate it and simply drive away. Bye, bye Ex.

Understood but unless the key is visible I don't see why a thief would break in anyway. Either way, that's why we have insurance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My previous vehicle was an 03 Mountaineer and I got into the habit of leaving my keys in the car and using the key pad on my door to get into it.

Whenever I try to do this on my Ex it won't let me lock it while the key is still inside.

Is there a setting I need to change? Or what am I missing?

Thanks!

Tnuce10 -

I lock my keys in my Explorer all the time while I wait for it to warm up during the winter. Lock all the doors with the key fob. Then push unlock on the key fob one time to unlock only the driver's side door. I then start my Explorer and manually hit the lock on the driver's side. All doors are now locked with the keys inside.

I'm sure you can do the same without starting it if you just want to leave your keys in it.

My previous vehicle was an 03 Mountaineer and I got into the habit of leaving my keys in the car and using the key pad on my door to get into it.

Whenever I try to do this on my Ex it won't let me lock it while the key is still inside.

Is there a setting I need to change? Or what am I missing?

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum Tnuce10.:wavey:
You can lock your key inside by closing the driver's door and pressing 7/8 and 9/0 simultaneously on the door keypad. The IA key left inside will deactivate itself after 20 seconds and cannot then be used to start the vehicle. To reactivate it, press the unlock button on the fob.
My only concern with doing this is if the insurance company will cover the loss of the vehicle if stolen with the key inside.
Good luck and happy motoring.

NOTE: Since you don't state which model you have, I'm assuming you have the IA key. It would be very helpful in answering your questions/concerns if you show the model and year of your Explorer in your profile so that it will also show in the left margin where your forum name appears.

Peter

Tnuce10 -

I lock my keys in my Explorer all the time while I wait for it to warm up during the winter. Lock all the doors with the key fob. Then push unlock on the key fob one time to unlock only the driver's side door. I then start my Explorer and manually hit the lock on the driver's side. All doors are now locked with the keys inside.

I'm sure you can do the same without starting it if you just want to leave your keys in it.
This won't always work with all models. I have my locks set up to unlock ALL doors with the press of the Unlock button on the fob.
Also, since we don't know which model the OP has, we don't know what kind of ignition we are discussing. Push button or keyed?

Peter

Sorry for not giving you guys all the info needed.

Vehicle is a 2012 Limited with Push Button start. So there is no actual "key", just the fob.

I will update my profile on here soon, as you can see I'm a noob on this forum. But thanks for the warm welcome!

You could always get some kind of metal box/case to put the key in that would block radio waves

Just tried what peterk9 said.

Went out and pressed 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time...worked like a charm!

Thanks so much for the help!!!!

And I am not worried about leaving the keys inside for 2 reasons....I live in a small, fairly safe town and I will be getting the windows tinted soon and it will be almost impossible to see inside anyway.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Sorry for not giving you guys all the info needed.

Vehicle is a 2012 Limited with Push Button start. So there is no actual "key", just the fob.

I will update my profile on here soon, as you can see I'm a noob on this forum. But thanks for the warm welcome!
No problem at all. After all, we were all new on this Forum at one time or another.:)

Peter

Anyone know how to put your own code in place of the factory code?

I haven't tried it but the step by step instructions are in the Owner's Guide.
There have also been a few posts on it as well.

Peter

Very easy.
In the Owner's Manual.
Takes about 45 seconds.
IIRC, you might even be able to do it through the MFT screen.

Very easy.
In the Owner's Manual.
Takes about 45 seconds.
IIRC, you might even be able to do it through the MFT screen.

Correct! I set mine through the touchscreen. It was very easy

Welcome to the Forum

NOTE: Since you don't state which model you have, I'm assuming you have the IA key. It would be very helpful in answering your questions/concerns if you show the model and year of your Explorer in your profile so that it will also show in the left margin where your forum name appears.

Peter

His model and year is shown in his profile at the left!!! 2012 Limited

His model and year is shown in his profile at the left!!! 2012 Limited
It is now, after he updated his profile. It wasn't there originally. That is why I mentioned it would help and it would show in the left column once it was updated. The OP also acknowledged in a subsequent post that he had not entered all the info.
Once you make a change to your profile, it goes back and updates all posts made by you. Not just the recent ones.

Peter

Secret 2 Locking Keyfob on Purpose...

...In the Explorer, without getting the double tap horn and the doors unlocking when you shut the door and leave the vehicle?

I have a push button pad to unlock the door. Any help? I tried a bunch of different techniques and none work.

Why cant this be simple like my escape?

Ugh!

Hate having to walk around with the keys if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Buzz

Simple, Lock it using the outside keypad (0/9 + 7/8), not the interior door lock switch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

flex_code-thumb-717x477.jpg

If you press and hold the "7-8" and "9-0" keypad entry buttons simultaneously you can lock the doors with the key inside without getting the prompt.

Just make sure you remember the open code before you do it.

Back