how to leave keys in the car and use keyless entry | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to leave keys in the car and use keyless entry

Thanks to the both of you!

Buzz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This also disables the keyfob from starting the vehicle if someone were to break in and try starting it. Once you enter the code on the keypad to unlock the door, it allows the keyfob to start the vehicle again.

This also disables the keyfob from starting the vehicle if someone were to break in and try starting it. Once you enter the code on the keypad to unlock the door, it allows the keyfob to start the vehicle again.

Thanks for the heads up!

Once the key fob is locked inside, it will deactivate in 20 seconds. To activate it again, you have to press the 'Unlock' button on the fob.

Peter

Securicode Keypad Question

Newbie here, looking forward to picking up my new Ingot Silver Explorer Sport with the 401A package (including push-button start) from Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor this Saturday. I am familiar with forum etiquette and spent a bit of time searching, but couldn't find an answer to this question, so please forgive me if it's been discussed before.

One of the joys of owning past Ford vehicles has been the ability to drop the key in the center console and lock the doors from the outside on the keypad when I go to the gym or out for a run. I could enjoy my run or workout without worrying about losing the car key, then use the keypad to get in the car. I have a non-Ford vehicle with push-button start (and no keypad, of course) and it will not let you lock the car if the fob is inside. Will I be able to leave the fob in the Explorer and use the keypad or do I have to carry it with me?

Welcome to the Forum M Go Blue.:wavey:
Yes, you can although leaving keys in the vehicle is not recommended.
You press 7.8 and 9.0 at the same time and it will lock. You can also do it by manually pressing down the locking pin. There are posts on this and I'll have a look for them in the morning. Now, going from memory here, I believe once the fob is locked in the vehicle, it will deactivate itself in 20 seconds. To once again activate it, just press the 'Unlock' button on the fob.

Peter

Newbie here, looking forward to picking up my new Ingot Silver Explorer Sport with the 401A package (including push-button start) from Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor this Saturday. I am familiar with forum etiquette and spent a bit of time searching, but couldn't find an answer to this question, so please forgive me if it's been discussed before.

One of the joys of owning past Ford vehicles has been the ability to drop the key in the center console and lock the doors from the outside on the keypad when I go to the gym or out for a run. I could enjoy my run or workout without worrying about losing the car key, then use the keypad to get in the car. I have a non-Ford vehicle with push-button start (and no keypad, of course) and it will not let you lock the car if the fob is inside. Will I be able to leave the fob in the Explorer and use the keypad or do I have to carry it with me?

I do exactly what you describe all the time. I leave my fob in the centre console and use the securicode keypad to lock the doors. My only concern is if the battery dies, I can't get in the car since the keypad is the only way to unlock. The other concern which is less so is that if someone manages to unlock the car, they just have to push the start button and drive away with it. However, I pick and choose when I do that. :D

If someone breaks in, they should not be able to start the vehicle by simply pushing the start button. As I mentioned in my post, the fob will be deactivated. So whoever breaks in will have to first find the fob and secondly will have to know to push the 'Unlock' button to reactivate the fob.

Peter

You an also remove the battery from the IA key & keep it in the back up slot, that way the alarm cannot be deactivated using that IA key but if you unlock the vehicle with the securicode pad you still start the vehicle.

key fob locking

Is there any way to lock the car and leave the key fob inside like my 2007? I've got a 2014 and we do hiking and biking locked it, open it up with keyless entry. Is there anyway it can be done in the 2014?
thanks in advance
Jim

I've merged your thread with this existing one that I found using the Forum's 'Search' program. I think you'll find your answer here.

Peter

The 7/8-9/0 system worked perfectly. Thanks again everyone for the help.

I'm missing something here....

I want to be able to put the fob in the console and then lock the car and unlock it with the door keypad when I come back. It works fine on my 15 F150 but our 17 Explorer won't let the doors lock.

1. Leave fob in car.
2. Shut door unlocked
3. Press 7/8 and 9/0 buttons together on keypad

The red light comes on above the keypad but the doors don't lock. It's like the car won't let me lock keys in. I tried locking the doors and then closing the door and the doors all unlock.

What is the trick here? We have a 2017 Platinum....

Key in car / not possible !?

This is how I lock my keys in the car in my 2017. I will say that I swipe up the keypad first to activate the backlight and then I carefully press the bottom two buttons with two different fingers and hold it for a 1-2 seconds.

This is how I lock my keys in the car in my 2017. I will say that I swipe up the keypad first to activate the backlight and then I carefully press the bottom two buttons with two different fingers and hold it for a 1-2 seconds.

That's how I do it with mine too. However I do find that sometimes it takes a couple tries for it to lock.

Do you have to enter the code first, then hold 7/8 9/0 for a couple seconds?

Do you have to enter the code first, then hold 7/8 9/0 for a couple seconds?

No. Just press and hold the bottom two buttons. Activating the backlight first helps ensure you are pressing them correctly. And yes, I sometimes it does take a couple of tries, but most of the time it happens on the first try for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would actually locking the door (assuming the rest are locked already) when it's open (as you are getting out) then closing it help you achieve your goal?

Back