How To: Long Console Install (Pictures!) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Long Console Install (Pictures!)

Little side note, any clever ideas on what to do with the ash tray bulb I found.. Never even knew I had it. :D

- Dom

excellent job - so far

i understand that fighting that radio wiring battle might be a little rough - but we DO have to connect that light for the 'rear integrated control panel' - if someone can guilt you into cleaning that carpet, i should be able to guilt you into connecting the light

this is from my ford cd from my 95 - it matches up with the other connections you made so this should be the same - ground wire is black/light green - simple enough - you already have a ground

the positive is light blue/red - that circuit powers the hvac light, radio light, message center and overhead console - should not be that hard to find one

but if you can't, the instrument illumination positive is also a red/black (the ash tray light should be a red/black positive and a black ground) - taping into a red/black circuit should work if you can't find a light blue/red

now if you get REALLY industrious and have a stock head unit, i could e/mail the wiring diagram for those radio controls...

(actually it does not look that hard to do - but we'll let that slide if you get that light working)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

excellent job - so far

i understand that fighting that radio wiring battle might be a little rough - but we DO have to connect that light for the 'rear integrated control panel' - if someone can guilt you into cleaning that carpet, i should be able to guilt you into connecting the light

this is from my ford cd from my 95 - it matches up with the other connections you made so this should be the same - ground wire is black/light green - simple enough - you already have a ground

the positive is light blue/red - that circuit powers the hvac light, radio light, message center and overhead console - should not be that hard to find one

but if you can't, the instrument illumination positive is also a red/black (the ash tray light should be a red/black positive and a black ground) - taping into a red/black circuit should work if you can't find a light blue/red

now if you get REALLY industrious and have a stock head unit, i could e/mail the wiring diagram for those radio controls...

(actually it does not look that hard to do - but we'll let that slide if you get that light working)

Oh, I actually assumed that the rear controls don't light up. I'll hook it up next year I guess, since it's already very cold out and I don't have a garage to work in.

And, I'm not to concerned about the rear radio controls so much as the CD Changer I got in the console. If you could send me those in a pm or something, that'd be great!

Your console has the 6 disc cd changer? A while back I bought a full length console out of a 97 Mountaineer had the 6 disc cd changer as well, when I got the console I also got the wiring harness from the cd changer to the radio, but it wouldn't work with my 01. So I just used the console and put the cd changer and cd changer harness in a box in the closet.

CdChanger.png

Yeah.. way more work than it's worth. I'd have to run wiring from the controls, to the amp. Not worth it.
And if I swap out my radio for an aftermarket one, it won't work anyway.
I'll leave it not working I guess.
I'll hook up illumination though, I guess. Just gotta figure out how. :P

Yeah when I got my console it had 2 separate harnesses, 1 for the console itself for the power outlet, rear air/heat/radio controls, and then a separate harness that ran from the cd changer all the way to the radio itself. I couldn't use it because the 98-up radio is different than the 97-down, and mine also didn't have the plug for the cd changer on the back of the radio.

Yeah when I got my console it had 2 separate harnesses, 1 for the console itself for the power outlet, rear air/heat/radio controls, and then a separate harness that ran from the cd changer all the way to the radio itself. I couldn't use it because the 98-up radio is different than the 97-down, and mine also didn't have the plug for the cd changer on the back of the radio.

Exactly. The console I took was also from a 2000, and the CD Changer harness is for a 98+.
So, I can't run it in my explorer, since I don't have a 'plug' for it.

I do have a CD changer button on my radio, so there is some hope. But, I have no idea how I'd hook it up.

On the back of some radios there is open slot for the cd changer to plug into. You could switch out to a 98-up radio if you wanted. To bad you don't live close by I'd give you the harness I have, I have no use for it, or the cd changer.

On the back of some radios there is open slot for the cd changer to plug into. You could switch out to a 98-up radio if you wanted. To bad you don't live close by I'd give you the harness I have, I have no use for it, or the cd changer.

Oh, I have the harness for the cd changer that plugs into a 98+ Radio.
But I don't want to swap my 97 radio, since they use a different system. The 98+ has amp built in, 97 has amp separate in the back, which I prefer since mine is swapped.

That's true I had a 90's Sable in the past had the JBL system with a subamp as well that sounded pretty good. If you need it though, I got a free harness and cdchanger, otherwise it will just remain a closet ornament.

That's true I had a 90's Sable in the past had the JBL system with a subamp as well that sounded pretty good. If you need it though, I got a free harness and cdchanger, otherwise it will just remain a closet ornament.

I've got both already just sitting around. I know people here look for the CD changer cartridge sometimes. Or sell 'em on eBay.

Yea personally if I could afford it, I would rip out my stock headunit and replace it with another better stock Ford 6 disc in dash headunit, but for now I'll keep rocking the stock cd/cassette unit.

I'd swap in a nice touchscreen head unit.
Probably going to do that eventually, if money permits.

That would be pretty nice, I like the ones with GPS navigation.

Sorry for reviving a REALLY old thread, but a lot of other people are linking to it, so in some aspect, it's still alive.

I had a question regarding rear AC since I'm going to get a full length Willow Green console soon, if I grab that floor vent for it, will the AC work for the rear as well? Also, will I have to use the floor setting on the HVAC for the rear to work?

Thanks!

The AC will work after having it on for a while. Yes, you have to have the HVAC set to floor/feet.

What vehicle is the long console originally out of? I just purchased a 2005 Sport Trac with this same console but the inserts are broken and the rear controls are not working. I appreciate the wiring information, which should enable me to get that part up and running. But I wasn't sure which model the console came out of to begin looking for the replacement inserts. Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back