How to lower my 2001 Explorer Sport 2dr | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to lower my 2001 Explorer Sport 2dr

bigmulf08

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Hey, this is Ryan from Kansas City. I am wanting to do something with the suspension. I want to lower it but thats all I know for sure. I am looking for suggestions on what to do, how to do it, where to get the parts, and how much it will cost.
I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr rear-wheel drive. Everything is stock except the audio system. But I am want to make it look better. The first thing I want to is lower it. I noticed that the rear is a little lower than the front, so I wanted to level that out and drop it a little bit. My frist question is how much should I drop it to make it level and still be able to fit 20 or 22 inch wheels sometime in the future. I have looked for kits but can't seem to find any for my truck. I would greatly appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rear is lower because of spring sag. You can loosen the torsion bar bolts to level the front.

How Big of a Difference is That

Ok, so how gib of a difference will the torsion bar bolts make in ride height?

Here is mine next to Eric's--(techieman33)

Although my tires are 1" larger diameter, it is still quite a bit lower.

Your front suspension is identical

Attachments

• stock-lowered.jpg
    stock-lowered.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,883

So how is it done?

So how do you do it? It doesn't seem to hard.

For my 02 Sport I completely pulled out my torsion bolts for about a 2in drop in the front. Then for the rear I put in some 2in lowering blocks.

Back