How to make your Ford Explorer steering column telescope PICS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to make your Ford Explorer steering column telescope PICS

Hitchhikingmike

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
How to make your 3rd generation Explorer steering column telescope.

The 3rd generation Explorer was the first and only Explorer to receive a telescoping steering column from the factory. However this was not a standard feature and was an option reserved for the higher end 3rd gens. However every other model 3rd gen that did not come with this option can easily be modified to do so. For some reason, this option was taken off the list for 4th generation Explorers, I have no idea if this mod would also work on a 4th gen.

I did this modification to my explorer over a year ago and have had zero problems.

Tools Required:
-Simple hand ratchet and sockets
-A strap or sturdy pice of rope.
-Grease
-A local metal frabacation/mill shop, however you may already have the tools at home to not need this,continue reading below for more information about this.

Part 1- Dismantle

a.) Remove the knee bolster below
Remove the two screws at the bottom of the panel. The panel is now held on by snap fasteners near the top, I believe there are a total of three. Take a firm grip of the top of the panel and pull it away, one fastener at a time. Set aside.

b.) Remove the steering column plastic covers
Remove a total of three screws from the bottom of the steering column, detach the lower half from the steering column for access to the hidden screw retaining the upper cover. NOTE: I was not able to wiggle out the upper half of the steering column without taking out the dash trim panel that surounds the cluster gauge. Consult a Haynes manual for a better explanation. This really just takes minutes to do. I just cannot explain the process any better than the manual does.

you will now be at this stage:
IMG_0003-1.jpg

Part 2- Modification

a.)Now observe the lever that is used for adjusting the height of the steering column.

IMG_0004-1.jpg

I will explain how the adjustment mechanism works. Unlike a conventional height adjusting steering column that only has a finite amount of adjustment settings/adjustments in set increments, our steering columns have no such system like this and have infinite points of adjustment. Our columns adjust freely up and down with no stops in a track, but contains an expanding mechanism that forces friction plates at the end to hold the column in position by friction. Now observe the metal rod at the top of the mechanism that extends toward the dash, this rod pushes up so that when you adjust the heigh of the column, it holds the weight so that the column does not immediately fall on your knees. If you don’t quite understand what I am explaining at this point, you will after you dismantle the mechanism.

b.) Now use a rope or strap and loop it around the metal tensioner rod that supports the weight of the column during adjustment and pull it downward and to the side to remove it from the mechanism like so.

IMG_0006-2.jpg

you can then leave the metal rod in this place,

IMG_0007-2.jpg

c.) Observing in the picture in part a, note the nut on the adjustment mechanism on the left side of the column and observe the torx bit on the right side of the column in the same place. The torx head on the right side of the column is actually the bolt that extend through the column to the left side, where the nut in the picture attaches to. Using a socket ratchet on the left side, a torx bit on the right side, unfasten the entire assembly and remove it. Be sure to keep all the components in order. There is also a piece in that the bolt goes through that will not come out. It is somewhat stuck to the column, take it out too.

This is that piece:
IMG_0013.jpg

Let us call it “the block”

This is the entire adjustment assembly removed from the column, with all the pieces on it in oder.

IMG_0009.jpg

Note the one part that is a bit different in my picture, because it has already been modified to telescope:

d.) Now that the adjustment mechanism is out observe the track for the adjustment system,
IMG_0012-1.jpg

Note the x and y axis for adjustment! The vertical track is used for the vertical adjustment, and the horizontal tack is used for horizontal adjustment.

e.) The only modification that needs to be done is to “the block” that was taken out which reveled the horizontal track. Simply mill down the sides of the block to be like this photo:
IMG_0011-1.jpg

now that the sides are milled away, the piece will now slide in the horizontal track, allowing the steering column to telescope like so:
IMG_0014-2.jpg

f.) Decide for yourself how you will mill down your piece to look like the mine, you may be able to do it yourself. I opted to have a local shop do mine for me for about 20 bucks.

g.) Now reassembly the adjustment mechanism, remembering to grease all the moving parts:
Now place “the block” back into the column
IMG_0016-3.jpg

This is the piece that expands to lock the friction plates at the end in place, lube it up as well. Do not lube the friction plates!
IMG_0015.jpg

Finish reassembling the entire column adjustment mechanism. Remember to place the tension bar back into position. Take note to tighten the bolt to the adjustment assembly with the proper torque so that the column will freely move when unlocked, and hold securely in place when locked. This just requires good common sense to figure out, but not difficult.
IMG_0017-2.jpg

In the final picture, note the friction plate to the far left, this hold the column in position. The mechanism that expands to hold the friction plates is in between in column and the dash support, where the adjustment handle is attached to.

I did this about a year ago and figured some people would want to do this too. I prefer having the steering wheel fully telescoped out toward me during highway trips. That way both hands reach the steering wheel while elbows are on the arm rests. I just came up with the process myself. I did not write down the exact size sockets I used, but they were all common sizes.

Please comment or send me a personal message if I made a typo or if you think I could explain a section better.

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, already a sticky, thank you. I hope some one else will benefit from this. I have already benefited from the forum greatly.

I am glad you finally put this up, Mike. I always was interested in how you did this. For about $20 and a couple of hours you can have the extra convenience of a telescoping steering wheel. Why couldn't they think of this for the 1st gens??? :p

Well, the steering columns for the explorer with and without the telescoping column (XLS vs XLT) is actually the same. It is just that one block that is different.

Really, Ford went out of their way to disable the XLS columns. All the columns are the same, Ford just went out of their way to DISABLE the telescoping feature on the lower end ones to make you pay extra for it when in reality, Ford is the ones that payed extra to disable the columns in the XLSs. It is all just a game and they want you to buy the upper end package to have it.

That's awesome thanks! I knew the steering column was made to be telescopic, but somehow blocked in place. Its funny because I have a 2003 Limited with every single option available minus the dvd player, and the telescopic column.

Thanks for adding a free option to my truck ;):thumbsup:

So before it was machined... was it kinda like this?

Just wanna get an idea what and how much was machined off

telescopicsteering.jpg

Yes, the piece was exactly like the diagram you have in the photo. I just got ahead of myself and did not take a before picture.

Does anyone know if this would work on an 04 lincoln aviator as well? When you pull the wheel towards you, does it leave a gap at all where the plastic cover ends?

I suspect that nearly every single part in the Explorer and Aviator are interchangeable (minus cosmetic pieces). Even though the dashes are different, I suspect the steering columns are the same.

There are no gaps in the plastic covers when the steering wheels is extend outward all of the way. On the Explorers, there is a vinyl piece of material connecting the steering column to the dash, cosmetically that folds in and out when the column telescopes.

You will have to be the first to let us know if it works on the Aviators!

Take note to tighten the bolt to the adjustment assembly with the proper torque so that the column will freely move when unlocked

Did you have a torque spec or was it trial and error to find smooth operation? Doubt Hanes has this spec.

Just trial and error. It really took me maybe 3 times to get it right.

Did mine!!!

as soon as i saw this writeup i did this mod.
very easy to get the "cam" out and to cut and grind down.....

just like to do something like this.

and i want to thanks others on this form for helping me mod my 03.

mods done are,

Brown wire
max tire on 17"
Sony head to factory speakers and sub w/ steering controls
K and N air element (non CAI)
roof rack x bars removed
brakes and wheel bearings
front bumper cover

and i suffer from the dreaded crack in the panel on the glass hatch

Roe
:exp:

ok... I have an XLT with tilt, but no telescoping... so... this is towards the dash and away from the dash, not just between the cieling and floor, right?

Deleted - I answered my own question. Thanks.

Great mod and write-up!

Excellent job Hitchhikingmike!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You have just added another project to my truck...:thumbsup:

I just completed this mod with my son on his Eddie Bauer. Thanks to the great write-up and pictures it went pretty smooth. We used a Dremel with 1.5" disks to cut the block. There was only one thing we had to do that we didn't see mentioned. Apparently to aid in the manufacturing process, Ford keyed the block with two small raised lines on the part that goes into the steering column (you can actually see one of them in the picture above).They fit into two small slots in the column. We filed down the lines and that allowed the block to slide smoothly in the column.

I just completed this mod with my son on his Eddie Bauer. Thanks to the great write-up and pictures it went pretty smooth. We used a Dremel with 1.5" disks to cut the block. There was only one thing we had to do that we didn't see mentioned. Apparently to aid in the manufacturing process, Ford keyed the block with two small raised lined on the part that goes into the steering column (you can actually see one of them in the picture above).They fit into two small slots in the column. We filed down lines and that allowed the block to slide smoothly in the column.

I don't see it. Which pic?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back