How to:painted bezel, console w/lot of pics on 2nd gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to:painted bezel, console w/lot of pics on 2nd gen

redneckex

Reaction score
I got the idea to custom paint my console(msg center, and cupholders) so i was off...i went to autozone and picked up some metal flake blue paint to match the outside of the ex, also picked up some clear acryllic clear coat. First i removed the radio bezel with the 2. 7mm screws above HVAC knobs, and the i pulled up the rear of the cupholders and it popped out. then i went for the msg center, this was stubborn like anything else but you have to pull hard to ge the tabs free. then uphooked everything electronically and maked off the msg canter screen, radio, a nd i remove the 4x4 knob, lights, etc.

Before: this is before my new radio, only pic i could find before i had started already)
inside.jpg

Then you just start making LIGHT coats, i made the mistake and in 1 or 2 places you can tell it. Then after 3 or 4 coats of paint let dry for 1 hour atleast. Then start making many light coats of clear coat, if you take your time here it will show. After many small coats it turns to a glassy finish. Looks great.
Below is pics of process and finish
my first test piece was couple things in engine bay
282.jpg

msg center
273.jpg

radio bezel
276.jpg

close up of radio bezel
286.jpg

in the car
283.jpg

The whole inside
289.jpg

cup holder and msg center closer
288.jpg

The whole thing from the back seat
290.jpg

I think it turned out very well, i didnt want it to look to much like a rice burner, but i think it looks pretty cool. THe only problem with this type of paint is that it is VERY 'heavy" and will run if sprayed to heavily so if you try this just be careful. Also i didnt include simple self-knowledge steps like cleaning the pieces before painting and other little steps that everyone should know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think it looks great. i repainted mine a year ago just flat black though. I was wondering if you had a picture of your truck as a whole. Ive been trying to find exactly what color my EX is but haveing a very hard time.

Wow, that looks really nice. I really like the Accents you have in the Engine compartment too. I was just wondering what you're going to be doing with the Old CD player? I have an aftermarket CD Player but I like the Stock look better. Just curious. Very nice looking Paint job though.

Wow, that looks really nice. I really like the Accents you have in the Engine compartment too. I was just wondering what you're going to be doing with the Old CD player? I have an aftermarket CD Player but I like the Stock look better. Just curious. Very nice looking Paint job though.

What do you mean as old cd player. the 6 cd changer in the center console or the actual head unit itself. sry but the head unit is sold to a buddy.

that looks great i was thinking of painting mine the same color.. I actualy had the paint in my hands at autozone and then put it back lol.But after seeing yours ill be going back for it:)

That looks awesome man i wouldda chosen that same color did you paint anything else in the interior? i would paint the little bezels around the window/lock switches

i just stopped there, i wasnt sure how it would look cus i painted all 3 pieces at the same time. it used a lot of paint to get it done right.

Looks great man. I am thinking about doing the same thing but purple. I will have to post pictures after I am done.

i tried to do this and it didnt turn out to well whats the best paint for it?

Back