How to program a key fob? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to program a key fob?

gnx547

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 GT
Does anyone know how to program a key fob for a 98 explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a guy that posted the procedure on you-tube.
Is every Explorer capable of using a key fob? My wife's '01 has keyless entry, but we didn't get any key fobs.

don't know if all explorers will allow key fobs, but my '01 didn't come with one and for $6 i figured i'd give it a try. it worked. the procedure to program is pretty easy.

1. have all fob's to be programmed with you.
2. get in your truck, close the doors and unlock all doors using your driver's door unlock button.
3. place your key in the ignition an turn it to the OFF position (one pos past LOCK)
4. turn your key from OFF to RUN and back eight times ending on the RUN position.
your door locks should automatically lock and unlock once, indicating "programming mode" has been entered. for clarity, your ignition key positions are: LOCK, OFF, ON/RUN and START.
5. press any button on your remote and it's programmed, repeat step 5 for any additional remotes w/in 5 seconds (up to eight remotes max i think).

That's it. This procedure is listed in the owner's manual.

don't know if all explorers will allow key fobs, but my '01 didn't come with one and for $6 i figured i'd give it a try. it worked. the procedure to program is pretty easy.

1. have all fob's to be programmed with you.
2. get in your truck, close the doors and unlock all doors using your driver's door unlock button.
3. place your key in the ignition an turn it to the OFF position (one pos past LOCK)
4. turn your key from OFF to RUN and back eight times ending on the RUN position.
your door locks should automatically lock and unlock once, indicating "programming mode" has been entered. for clarity, your ignition key positions are: LOCK, OFF, ON/RUN and START.
5. press any button on your remote and it's programmed, repeat step 5 for any additional remotes w/in 5 seconds (up to eight remotes max i think).

That's it. This procedure is listed in the owner's manual.

Wow 8 remotes. holy cow!

as i think about it, if you can't get into "programming mode" don't bother buying a remote.

Back