How to program the door keyless entry (99) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to program the door keyless entry (99)

Wade Lippman

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsford NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
I just got a 99. The seller does not know the combination for the keyless entry on the door.
I read a few threads here, and then realized they were talking about reprogramming the keyfob remotes.

How do I reprogram the door combination?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found a white box with many wires coming out of it up in the front of that compartment. There is a white label on it, but there is only a half inch of space between the box and the compartment wall, and I can't read it.
Any safe way to loosen the box so I can read the label?

If not, I will borrow a mirror from a dentist...

Flashlight and a mirror is the easiest way to go. You could even try to pull on the plastic a little bit. It should have some give to it.

I'm able to read mine, but being a sport, I think it's a little closer to the corner of the opening. A flashlight and a mirror on a stick certainly helps. :)

-Joe

Success!

I tried a magnifying glass, but it was too far away.
So I tried two pair of glasses. Worked fine.

I suppose 20 years ago I wouldn't have had any problems.

Just realized I never quite answered the original question....

That 5-digit code is locked into the RAP module (the box it was taped to) and cannot be changed. You can, however, add additional codes (I believe up to 8). You cannot, however, delete those codes once they are programmed, unless you connect the vehicle to a NGS tester (at the dealership) where the tech can erase any or all of the pre-programmed codes (save for the original code).

The procedure for adding additional codes is in the owner's manual.

-Joe

Back