How to R&R Rear Axle Housing on a 98 ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to R&R Rear Axle Housing on a 98 ??

Katmandu

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I'm getting set to R&R the Rear axle housing on my 98 4x2 Explorer.

I need to find out how to remove the rear brake calipers/backing plates. I've heard the rear axles need to be removed to do this.

Can someone please explain how this is done ??

TIA!

ERIC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no idea what your asking, haha. But the rear calipers are held on by 2 bolts. But if you dont know how to do that I wouldnt suggest diving into repairing the diffy yourself.

To remove the axle shafts from the tubes you have to do the following:

1. Jack the rear of the vehicle up and support the vehicle on jackstands on the axletubes. Remove tires.

2. Remove the two bolts holding each caliper on. Hang the calipers so that the brake hoses don't get stressed. Coathangers are very good for this.

3. Remove the cover from the diffy. This will allow all the gear oil out, so put a catch pan under the differential before removing the cover.

4. Rotate the diffy around until you can get a socket on the bolt that holds the cross shaft in place. Remove the bolt.

5. Slide the cross shaft out of the differential.

6. Push the axle shafts in to the differentials so you can get to the c-clips. Remove the C-Clips and the axle shafts will slide out.

JDraper said:
To remove the axle shafts from the tubes you have to do the following:

Thank you very much JDraper! :thumbsup:

Back